Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet flange help
Author: brooklynia373 (NY)

My contractor installed a new tile floor in the bathroom. The new floor sits about 1" higher than the original flange. When I checked today, they had thinset over the entire original flange and left just a hole. I'm assuming they are going to ad a new flange at the new height and call it a day. Is this okay?

Thanks for the help,
Tom

Re: Toilet flange help
Author: bernabeu (SC)

No, it is NOT OK.

You 'should' have had a plumber as well as a 'tile guy'.

The old flange should have been removed, the pipe extended and left 'capped' temporarily while the tile was installed.

THEN the pipe is 'trimmed' and the new flange installed with the 'back' sitting ON TOP OF the finished floor.

Call in an actual plumber NOW for peace of mind.

Good luck with your newly purchased 'abortion'.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

You kow what often happens when you "ass-u-me" anything. I am not sure HOW they intend to install your toilet, but they are NOT going to install a new flange, otherwise they would have done it BEFORE "tiling over the flange and just leaving a hole:.

Author: packy (MA)

a toilet flange extension kit properly installed will work just fine.

Not code compliant in Brooklyn, New York City, NY

Nor 'good practice' anywhere

so what is the poor guy gonna do? rip up the new tile floor to get at the pipe below which may or may not be able to be easily replaced?
he has already been shafted by a piss poor tile company now you want him to rip up the tile and pay a plumber 1000 dollars to raise the flange?
clean off the old flange, get a 10 dollar flange extension kit, use some 3 1/2 inch long brass bolts and be done with it.
it would take a pretty hard hearted inspector to tell him to rip it out.
stacked flanges that are silicone sealed together will last a lifetime..

the 'poor guy' (who could afford an 'upgrade' to the existing floor) 'eats' the loss and DOES have a licensed, bonded, insured (in NYC a/k/a a master plumber) plumber do the job PROPERLY

the 'poor guy's' ignorance is no excuse for permitting non compliant work to remain in place

he could attempt to obtain redress from the 'tile guy'

i have on quite a few ocassions used a flange entension to 'fix' what a tiles installer had done.
i consider it to be a valid and competitant repair.
sorry but i fail to see the logic in your thought process.
given that the wax ring is the weakest point in this scenario, why would a couple of extension flanges siliconed and bolted together be unacceptable?
i eagerly await and welcome a response from my friend in SC..

neither my, nor your, opinion matters

code rules

code is the MINIMUM for safe human occupation

never mind NYC code, ALL code requires the flange to sit on top of the finished floor

now, for my opinion:

do it right or do it again

? why should one fix/patch new work ?

however

your patch will work IF done CAREFULLY and METICULOUSLY

smiling smiley

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.