Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Air gap to garbage disposal connection question
Author: Del59 (CA)

I replaced a garbage disposal that was connected to an air gap for the dishwasher. Both the air gap and the garbage diposal are on the right side of the sink, with the garbage disposal connection for the 7/8 ID hose pointing directly to the left toward the drain pipes. I'm trying to not move the drain lines. The 7/8" hose is so stiff that it seems impossible to make the "hairpin" turn without collapsing or kinking the hose. I tried cutting the hose down to fit, but it is so stiff that it will not stay in place and actually pulls the air gap out! I'm stumped on what to do. I have read some postings recommending using 3/4" copper 90 degree connectors. Is that my only option? Any other ideas? I can't believe that there isn't a more flexible hose for this application. I would appreciate any ideas.

Re: Air gap to garbage disposal connection question
Author: packy (MA)

clear vinyl hose is more flexible.
if you use copper, use long turn 90's

Thanks Packy big grin

Thanks Packy. I really appreciate the reply. Do you know if clear vinyl hose is rated for the temperature requirements and the chemicals coming from the dishwasher like the black hose?

Edited 1 times.

the only problem with vinyl is... because it is clear you will see the awful looking gunk that lines the inside of the hose over the years. it is present in the black hose you just don't see it. otherwise the life expectency is the same..

Author: bernabeu (SC)

no, it is NOT rated above 110 degrees

it WILL become brittle and crack if 'overheated'

this includes the 'braided stainless faucet connectors' which, as per manufacturer's instructions, should actually be replaced every 5 years

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks to both of you for the input thumbs

Thanks to both of you for the input.
Bernabeu, what would you recommend to my dilemma?

Edited 1 times.

can't really help w/o a picture

7/8 hose is most likely 1/2 nominal (5/8 od) copper

you can try to bend some soft temper - heat a scrap piece dull red and 'quench' it in water

i had a whole roll (50 feet) given to me and so i used it for dishwashed drain hose. i had dozens of installations and NEVER had a problem. i believe bernbeau is talking about a pressure situation. a drain hose has no pressure involved. vinyl is perfectly safe and will not rupture or become brittle. I HAVE USED IT, HE HASN'T..

7/8" hose is 7/8" ID
Author: steve (CA)

It's not ½" nominal(5/8"winking smiley.

Thanks to everyone on this thread. smiling smiley

Ok, I'm going to admit that my very handy wife figured out the answer. I did a fitting of the hose, cutting down a little at a time, until I got it to a point where it collapsed only at one point. Then we filled a sink full of hot water and soaked the slightly cut down piece of the 7/8" ID hose until it was very pliable. I took it while still warm and put it right in. I had to "massage" it a bit in one place that wanted to kink and collapse, but in the end, it stayed open. All tests are complete. Washer draining perfectly. No leaks, no runs, no errors! Thanks to everyone on this thread. I'll keep an eye on other threads and pay it forward.

Edited 1 times.

I HAVE USED IT, HE HASN'T..

smiling smiley

...and never, ever, will use vinyl hose as plumbing ANYTHING

now, HDPE is another story

smiling smiley

however, packy is 99% correct (most of the time)

tongue sticking out smiley

geesh, it is an open ended drain. he could use a cardboard tube from christmas wrap and it will work.
if i hadn't done it i would not be so certain of the results. (vinyl hose not cardboard tube)..

IMO: I prefer the cardboard over the vinyl.

Just a personal prejudice.

smiling smiley

ps. from our sponsor: PlumbingSupply.com® offers excellent quality reinforced dishwasher hose that can handle routine high temperatures, the chemicals used in dishwasher soaps, and general abuse.

tongue sticking out smiley

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks to everyone on this thread. smiling smiley
Author: srloren (CA)

Where you have a kink, place a hose clamp at that spot, tighten it up and it will keep the hose from collasping. Works for me.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.