Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Removing & replacing shower cartridge
Author: mr leak (CA)

In this Northern CA area the most popular faucets are Price Pister and Moen and Grohe Having said this I understand that to pull the shower cartridge for Moen there is cartridge puller however other brands of faucets valves do not need a puller to remove the guts ?

Re: Removing & replacing shower cartridge
Author: hj (AZ)

And your question is? Even with the puller, removing a Moen cartridge can be an adventure. I had one Wednesday, that it was a question of luck whether I would be able to remove it or have to replace the valve body. Luck and some skill won the day and I was able to repair the valve.

Author: srloren (CA)

Hard water minerals build up inside around the surface and the O-Rings deteriorate and make it difficult to remove the cartridge. Use a piece of soft clear plastic hose from HomeDepot that will fit over the valve body that sticks out of the chrome plate, which should be removed and remove the clip so you can place the tubing over the valve body (you may have to use a clamp to seal it so it does not leak) and tape the hose up against the tile, then pour in some vinegar and let it set for a day or two. Then use your puller to remove the old cartridge. Then, if a Moen, take a 3/4 inch copper wire brush and clean out the remaining minerals or soak with vinegar soaked rag to remove the minerals. Vinegar takes a few hours to do its job. To prevent this from happening again, remove the cartridge annually, your time period may vary, and install a new repair O-ring and seal kit. This will also keep your Moen operating smoothly and not stick.

Author: hj (AZ)

1. The same "O" rings that are "stuck" are what will prevent the vinegar from reaching the inside of the valves where the rubber hot and cold boots, and/or lower "O" rings, are stuck to the valve body.
2. A "repair kit" does NOT have new boots for the sides of the cartridge.
3. When I get a core out, I would NEVER reinstall it.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.