Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Correcting improperly vented plumbing system
Author: bosrox (MA)

I bought a fixer upper and in the process of tearing down one of my bathrooms to retile, I discovered that my plumbing system is completely unvented and has a lot of issues... so I'm planning to rectify this.

I've laid out a plan that should work for my house. I'm an amateur, but I've been looking at the code for a while. Is this in the right ballpark? Any glaring issues here?

Thanks.

Re: Correcting improperly vented plumbing system
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

When you're using a lavatory and tub as a wet vent for a toilet, the pipe needs to be 2" , by the drawing it looks like you have planned to use 1 1/2". Other than that it looks pretty good to me.

Author: Plumberpalmer (MA)

First off I see you are in Massachusetts where home owners are not allowed to do there own plumbing. If caught you will have to tear out all the work you did then have it done by a licensed plumber. You could also face fines up to $2,500. AAV's are not allowed in Ma and the wet vents must be 2"

Edited 1 times.

Thanks for letting me know smile

Wow, really? I was drawing up these plans to submit to the city for a permit... but I had no idea they had that restriction here. Guess you saved me from looking like a @#$%& at the inspector's office.

Leave it to Massachusetts to over-regulate. It's a good rule for plumbers, but they must get a lot of hack jobs in the state from people who can't afford a plumber... I think a lot of people would DIY and happily go through the inspection process (even if it means paying to be inspected and re-inspected after corrections), but without an avenue for that it's all or nothing.

Funny about that AAV — that's part of my current plumbing system and was installed by a plumber! He's actually the one who told me the other parts of the system wasn't up to code, so I guess I'll give him a call (or maybe someone else considering he installed an AAV) and see what the damage will be to replace the entire house's system the correct way.

Thanks for letting me know.

Edited 3 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Oh, this is an interesting post. Please do advise us what happens. I'm surprised the plumbing violations were not visible during the home inspection. I also wonder if permits were pulled for the plumbing work by the original owner(s). We the plumber a "licensed plumber" ?

Best Wishes

I'm pissed at the inspector, but I'm pretty sure the contract leaves little recourse there. I could probably fight to get the inspection fee back, but that's hardly worth the effort.

I knew nothing about plumbing aside from basic fixture repair when I bought the house (my first) and he missed a few things a plumber noticed immediately by being in the basement for 5 minutes. The roof doesn't even have a vent stack! Nothing about the plumbing was even mentioned in the inspection report outside of the age of the sewer pipe coming in from the street (it's a bit older). There was a permit from about 20 years back for plumbing work, so I just thought the house just had 20 year old plumbing work.

I feel like a buffoon for not doing some more research into it for myself at the time and putting all my trust into the inspector... this lesson is coming at a high price.

I appreciate all the advice so far. Next time I buy a house I might just diagram everything out and ask for opinions on the internet!

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

If only we could enforce #831 of the Code of Hammurabi smiling smiley

'google' it

grinning smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

You won't be the 1st. Just ask Sum.
Happy Holidays

Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.