Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 black iron pipe thread question?
Author: ddbbp (KS)

I had a plumber install some 1/2" black iron pipe for a water heater.

I noticed the joints have like 5 threads showing. Where a few have less.

I know there is probably a standard for exposed threads on a properly tightened joint. And I assume material and how they were cut probably have something to do with it.... however...

Does 4-5 threads indicate its not tight enough?

(p.s.- there is no odor and I soaped the joints, I don't see a leak but the exposed threads freak me out!)

Edited 3 times.

Re: black iron pipe thread question?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If it were leaking I would be concerned, since it's not I wouldn't worry about it. If he threaded the pipe on site as I do, he might have threaded some pieces a little longer than others. Maybe some USA made fittings, others made in China ?

The stuff he used was prethreaded, nipples, fittings and pipe from the manufacture... I assume.

So 5 is to many showing?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

don't know

there 'should' be 7 threads TOTAL into the fitting

this applies to 1/8" through 2" NPT / IPS

count inside ANY threaded fitting

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

when you say "don't know" so I assume there is no rule here about exposed threads... just by feel or 'if it don't leak then its tight enough' kind of thing?

So I shouldn't freak out about 5 threads showing then?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

there ARE rules about exposed threads

you may, or may not, have a safety issue

your issue is that one can not know how many threads are INTO the fitting or how TIGHT the 'make-up' was

see: [www.bing.com]

'should be': 4 turns+ by hand then 2 turns+ by wrench = 7+ turns total (one turn = one thread)

? What did the inspector say ?

If not inspected, WHY NOT inspected ?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Well im freaked out even more now.

This was installed over a year ago, no imspection as it was water heater replacement and the was just the piping between the shutoff valve and the heaters gas valve.....

as long as I am not seeing or smelling a leak, do you think I should be concerned about this issue further?

Edited 3 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

No, and why did you wait a year before becoming paranoid?

Just never noticed it until now.

Author: packy (MA)

you have to realize that gas pressure is only a matter of ounces. it is no where the PSI of a water main.
i'm not saying that a hand tight joint won't leak but you don't need much beyond hand tight to make a leak proof gas joint.
i just finished a gas pipe job to a new boiler. i installed a drip tee at the boiler and put in a short nipple and cap. i tighten them by hand and forgot to wrench them tight. i proceeded to pump the piping to 5PSI for the inspection. no leak even though the nipple and cap were hand tight. granted my hands are strong but nonetheless it held 5 PSI.
i discovered the hand tight joint when i turned the meter on and went to loosen the drip cap to bleed the air out.
long story made short.. don't be concerned about your job..

Author: hj (AZ)

That should answer your question about whether they were safe or not, since your house is still there.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

if you were to post a pic of the work done I would tell you if I would be concerned or not.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.