Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 deterioration gasket inside toilet tank
Author: needtoknow (GA)

i noticed ghost flushing on american standard toilet, approx age 2007. There is some sort of gasket material inside the tank between the valve and the bottom surface of the tank. It appears to be disintegrating. Some of the bits have created a gap along the flange where the flapper sits when closed. I think this is the cause of the random flushing due to water constantly leaking by.

Does this sound correct? Would the material in the gasket have been rubber or foam rubber? Either way it is turning to mush. I plan to get repair parts but wanted to get experts opinion on what is going on.

Hopefully the photo shows up. Not the best quality.

[www.dropbox.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: deterioration gasket inside toilet tank
Author: hj (AZ)

That is NOT an unusual situation, but is almost never the cause of the symptoms you describe. Partially because even if it WERE leaking there, the secondary seal between the tank and bowl would also prevent the water loss. You have a different problem, but one we cannot diagnose without being there to do our own testing.

i may have mis-worded what i am noticing. i think the tank is refilling occasionally (rather than flushing) from water leaking by semi-closed flapper. i shut off the water from the supply to stop the wasted. Does this make more sense?

what is the gasket material? and could tank cleaner tablets have causes this? it is a rental prop so i am only now becoming aware of the problem. Other than wasted water (on the tenant) i don't see any leaks external to the toilet.

I knew what you were referring to and the advice is still the same.

if a flapper is letting water seep by eventually the level in the tank will drop and the fill valve would trigger would it not?

Still would like to know what may have caused the gasket to deteriorate.

If i replace all the parts in the tank, valves, bolts, gaskets, etc. this should rule out everything but the porcelain fixture itself would it not?

THx

Author: steve (CA)

Yes, a leaking flapper will make the tank leak down and cause the fill valve to open. Chemicals in the water(chlorine, chloramine,...)deteriorate rubber parts. Remove the tank and replace the gaskets and flapper. If you need to replace the tank to bowl bolts, make sure to get solid brass(not brass plated).

Author: bernabeu (SC)

apparently the flush valve seat ITSELF is deteriorated

replace EVERYTHING

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: m & m (MD)

Press your thumb on the surface of the flush valve seat and move it entirely around the surface two or three times to clean the residual material off. After that, install a new flapper.

That little tube sticking down the overflow can also siphon water out of the tank if it is inserted too far down the tube. It should terminate ABOVE the water level in the tank when it is full.

You are just guessing, and I don't think I have ever seen a plastic flush valve seat "deteriorate".

Thx for all the replies thumbs

i will replace everything as recommended including solid brass bolts. Might as well since i have to pull it all apart. I have never seen a gasket turn to mush like this before.

thx for all the replies

Edited 1 times.

Happens VERY frequently, you just have not seen many different toilets. The "mush" is external, not where the flush valve is clamped to the tank. I just cut it off and forget about it.

hj, i will check to see if fill tube is inserted too far. I don't think it is. Cannot tell from picture i posted.

as far as guessing, there's no guessing about the mushy material in the tank. you can see it in the picture. it is not plastic that is deteriorating, it is some sort of gasket material. i scraped some up and it is like rubber that is semi-solid. when i pull it all apart i will post better pics and give a better description of what i find.

It is a sponge rubber gasket, and I have seen it happen even when there were no "chemicals" used in the tank.

sounds reasonable to me. for sure i have only installed or rebuilt a handful of toilets but first time witnessing a gasket melt down. i have seen the rubber washers under the bolts do this so i guess that's proof in itself.

scraping all of it away other than what is clamped and inaccessible makes sense but wouldn't the remaining bit of gasket eventually fail? seems like a leak waiting to happen (eventually).

Author: bernabeu (SC)

therefor:

replace EVERYTHING

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

get the tank to bowl bolt set that has 2 extra nuts and washers.
so, from the inside of the tank assemble in this order...
reading from top down....
bolt with big head
rubber washer
metal washer
brass nut
metal washer
brass nut

Good advice! smileys with beer

So the purpose of the middle set of washer/nut is to better seal the tank bolt holes?

Never would have thought of that, good advice!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.