Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Hot water in Shower only after briefly turning on Kitchen faucet hot
Author: Spingler (MA)

Hi,

I just had some remodeling done, moving a bathroom and leaving an existing bathroom as it was. I also just moved into this house, so don't have a lot of history.
I have a Amtrol indirect fired hot water tank with Gas fired boiler/furnace. The Hot water tank is working as it should. The water is hot.

All hot water in the house is on a single line from the hot water tank. It runs from the tank, to the kitchen faucet, dishwasher, to bathroom #1 to bathroom #2. Bathroom number #1 is still the original plumbing. Bathroom #2's plumbing was moved from 1 side of the house, to the other.
Also, I just replaced the kitchen faucet from a standard single spout moen to a single spout Delta (touch), but plumbing was not changed there.

Now, in the morning, the hot water in bathroom #1 (both shower and sink faucet) is only luke warm.
If I go the kitchen sink, the water is Hot as it should be.
If I turn the Hot water on at the kitchen briefly, the water in bathroom #1 immediately gets HOT too.
Note, the kitchen faucet does not need to stay running Hot for bathroom #1 to get hot. Only turning it on briefly does it.
This scenario is somewhat random, so it is hard to diagnose.

Although I can not confirm, I expect that bathroom #2 will exhibit the same symptoms, but I have not been able to verify yet.

Water pressure is fine everywhere.

Is it possible that there is a vapor lock somewhere and briefly turning on the kitchen faucet clears it?
Thanks a lot

Re: Hot water in Shower only after briefly turning on Kitchen faucet hot
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Does bath # 2 have a shower or tub valve roughed in ? Possibly still containing a test plug instead of a cartridge ?
You have cross over between the hot and cold somewhere and if the bath is renovation, there's a good chance the cross over is occurring there.

Hi,
Thanks.

bathroom #2 does have a shower roughed in (handheld wand and rain head) In fact, all trim is complete, just no shower door yet, so I have not used it much. I did turn it on briefly and both the shower wand and rain head are flowing fine (Flow that is, HOT water temp is yet to be tested)

Edited 1 times.

Did the new kitchen faucet come with check valves to install on the valves? That could be the source of your cross over.

Author: steve (CA)

Try shutting off either the hot or the cold angle stop for the kitchen faucet and see if the trouble in the bathroom continues.

hi,

Yes, Check valves installed on both hot and cold supply lines.
Thanks

Hi Steve,

I shut off both the hot and cold to the kitchen faucet, and that fixed the problem with bathroom #1.
I then turned Hot back on to faucet, bathroom #1 still works.
I then turned the Cold back on to the faucet (both hot and cold on) and bathroom #1 went cold.
I then turned the hot back off to the kitchen faucet, (only the cold is on to the faucet) and bathroom #1 started working again.

The faucet is new with check valves. Does that mean the Faucet is defective, or maybe just one or both check valves?

Thanks

Edited 1 times.

It's not the faucet, by design the touch faucets allow crossover, the problem lies within the check vales. Maybe debris has one hung in an open position.

Thanks again. After replacing the kitchen faucet check valves, the problem has not returned! I also have a new cartridge that Delta sent to me as well (it took some convincing for them to agree the agree the problem was with their faucet).
I will install that too, just in case.

Thanks for all your help!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.