Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 ADVISE ON DOB RELATED PERMIT & NATIONAL GRID - NY
Author: chariot1 (NY)

If anyone can advise as to knowledge or personal experience -- National Grid (Long Island) had not informed us, as per their records on our commercial address, that they had previously capped their line in the street. (This small building was tenant occupied for a number of years and tenant had sole control over gas account with NG and heating unit.) NG had advised me numerous times after this old tenant vacated that all was set to go on their end in order to restart service to the building for a new tenant, and that on our appointment date to restart service we needed to submit to NG our plumber's pressure test (not a Town test). When the appointment date came, we gave our pressure cert to NG's technician and he also checked our equipment and installed a new meter. All was well. When he went to street and turned on valve to start service, no gas was coming to the building. Tech found out that NG capped their line for some unknown reason. Now I am being told, by a rather dubious Commercial Rep Dept. @ NG Long Island, that I am required to file a permit with the Town for a pressure test, even though no new work or problem exists in our building. They claim that I need a permit because of the fact that they capped their line and have to fix their line. This will require us to pay at least $1000 in plumber/permit fee, plus 8 more weeks of no service for the time it takes NG to repair their line, and then the risky prospect of having the DOB come into the building and our property. By Lease, the occupying tenant has no choice as to gas or electric heat. It is our discretion as to whether we give him gas or electric. I am leaning towards forgetting the option of gas and elect to service the building with electric heat because of the ridiculous complication. The lease permits it. Does anyone have any kind of advise as to what I can expect if I permit the DOB to enter the building? I have heard horror stories in that they come for a permit on one particular thing and then the whole property is inspected. My case should just involve a gas pressure test. I was also told by the DOB to just write on the permit that it was for a gas pressure test for NG purposes only. Is this common to write on a permit. Any advise is appreciated on the above. Thank you.

Re: ADVISE ON DOB RELATED PERMIT & NATIONAL GRID - NY
Author: steve_g (CA)

You really need to find an honest plumber in your neck of the woods that knows the local ropes. If you find such an outfit, pay them whatever they want. That or a lawyer. Electric might be the easier alternative.

It's a sad state of affairs, but some bldg depts have lost their way, and focus on collecting fees rather than keeping an eye on the quality of work.

Re: ADVISE ON DOB RELATED PERMIT & NATIONAL GRID - NY
Author: packy (MA)

it does appear as if NG is NG at supplying NG....

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.