Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Odor - Not Typical Sewer Smell
Author: anaspringfield (IL)

I bought a small house in June 2015, which I have not been able to move into in all this time. It is financially ruining me. What I thought was an odd smell that would leave with the sellers, has turned out to be a constant, unidentifiable odor that I can't live with. Just when I think that I've reduced it to a tolerable level, it comes back. I've had a dozen professionals in, builders, plumbers, remediation experts, and realtors. I've cleaned ducts, painted every wall and ceiling, had a driveway lifted to improve drainage, did an ozone treatment (which worked for about 3 weeks), but all to no avail. The odor is not like anything that anyone has smelled before. If I knew it would solve the problem, I'd readily tear out walls or pull up floors, but since I don't know what the smell is, or can identify where it is originating from, I just can't afford the expense. Can't draw a direct cause effect between weather events and odor increase/decrease, though it does get worse sometimes when it rains, but it might be related to higher wind, since it gets bad sometimes even when it hasn't rained. No signs of water damage in the house, which is about 60years old, 850sq ft, slab on grade, 4-side brick. The attic doesn't have the smell. The kitchen and bath were remodeled 2 owners ago, but not high quality work. Most recently it has been suggested that one of my plumbing vents may have failed in the slab or wall and is causing odor to come in house. At that persons suggestion, we poured bleach down all the drains, then sealed them to see if the bleach smell enters the house. Unfortunately, I bought a cheap bleach that doesn't have a strong smell to begin with so I am going to redo the test. I'm skeptical this is the issue because the smell in my house doesn't smell like sewer gas. Question: Would the odor coming in from a broken vent be different than normal sewer gas odor?

Re: Odor - Not Typical Sewer Smell
Author: bernabeu (SC)

no - a broken vent releases sewer gas

check INSIDE any curtain rods left by previous owner(s) - if a divorce, strange things may happen

it just maaaaay be malicious vandalism - dead fish, mice, etc. left behind in hidden spots

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: anaspringfield (IL)

All window treatments have been removed and/or cleaned. I've heard the old tale about the woman who forced her ex to sell cheap by tainting the curtain rods. That is not a factor in this situation. It is not the smell of a decaying animal. As mentioned, it is an unidentifiable odor.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

then, you have an unsolvable problem

frowning

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Les

Do you have air admittance valves under the sink? Are you on municipal sewer, or private septic system?

Edited 1 times.

Author: lyn12 (IL)

I see you are springfield il. That is the town I live in also. I have had the identicle problem. I moved out smell so bad. Finally after all the plumbers and gutting the house it turned out the pipes under concrete in the basement were old and bad. I insisted the last plumber to run a camera in pipes and they saw the problem. I dont know why they never did that before. I had to move out it was so bad. Still in process of work. Its awful

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.