Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Crane Wall Hung Closet Leaking
Author: Lacey (CA)

I have a Crane 3217 Rexmont wall hung toilet mounted on an American Foundry Series 7000D Tru-Line Closet Carrier using a wax ring seal and it is leaking. This carrier was installed in this house when it was built in 1974. This toilet was originally installed in 1998. The plumber used a wax ring gasket to install the toilet and several leaks later is still using a wax ring gasket with no success.

The closet carrier instructions call for using a wax ring gasket.

The carrier waste inlet hub extends 5/16" beyond the finished wall. Four 5/8" closet mounting studs extend 2-1/8" beyond the finished wall.

The Crane closet installation instructions call for using felt or neoprene on the bowl outlet to effect the proper seal.

I agree that felt or neoprene should be used.

At the suggestion of one of our local plumbing store sales rep I purchased a Jay R Smith neoprene gasket (for use with wall hung toilets) and tried to position it in the closet bowl outlet recess but it is too big (not a quality fit) and would seem to be a setup for failure. The closet bowl recess (groove) is more V shaped not U shaped and its dimensions are 1" deep x 7/8" across the Top x 1/2" at the bottom. The Jay R Smith neoprene gasket dimensions are 5/8" deep x 1" across the Top x 1" at the bottom.

My question is, does anyone know of a felt or neoprene seal that will work successfully with this closet/carrier setup.

Also, can any one share their experience with the American Foundry Series 7000D Tru-Line Closet Carrier.

Re: Crane Wall Hung Closet Leaking
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Zurn's Neo-Seal might be the better way to go. Is the waste tunnel properly positioned ? It should be adjustable. You should be able to turn it so that he moves closer to you before you install the seal.

Best Wishes

Re: Crane Wall Hung Closet Leaking
Author: Lacey (CA)

Looking at the Zurn's Neo-Seal it would seem to have the same characteristics as the Jay R Smith Neoprene seal, only with added adhesive. The problem here is the Crane Closet, I have, does not allow for a relaxed neoprene gasket. Mounting the Zurn's Neo-Seal in the groove of the Crane closet will cause the neoprene to compress and distort, which I believe will create a weak seal. It is my thought that a neoprene seal should be mounted as, close to a relaxed fit as possible, where mounting the closet will compress the seal, and with any movement of the closet, the seal will flex with the movement and maintain its seal.

When you say waste tunnel, I imagine you are referring to the carrier waste hub. The carrier waste hub installed here is 1974 technology. It is a cast iron closet extension which is a cast iron flanged pipe with double O-ring seal, which is inserted into the ABS 90 deg. radius sanitary tee. The closet extension is adjusted as far out as possible without exposing the O-ring seal in the sanitary tee. It is not an adjustable threaded pipe.

In summary: The heart of the problem is the narrowing radius and deep v-groove of the closet landing, causes two problems with the neoprene seal ring. The ring scrunches up in the narrowing radius, and also falls away into the deep v-groove, ie., there is no size-maintained back-stop landing for the ring.

What are your thoughts about a felt seal or wax with felt seal.

Thank you so much for your response.

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.