Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Anode rod in new hot water heater
Author: Cassandra Conahay (FL)

Help !! iM at the end of my rope. I finally saved enough money to have a new well drilled. Then I had all new water softening equipment installed. Lastly, a new after heater. Now, after saving for ten years and putting up with horribly colored and cloudy water for ten years, I have crystal clear water THAT SMELLS LIKE ROTTEN EGGS !
The plumber blames the water softener company, they blame the plumber, etc,etc. it's been going in circles for months now. $14,000 later, I still need to know. What can I do to get rid of the smell ? I didn't have it with my old equipment. My new equipment was fine until the hot water heater was replaced and now, only the hot water smells, not the cold water. Obviously, it's the anode Rod reacting to something. My well maintainance guys tell me to remove the anode Rod. I know that's not right, but, I also know it would get rid of the smell, right ?
Could someone please advise me ? I'm tired of getting the run around. Please,please, I seriously can't sleep at night worrying about this.

Re: Anode rod in new hot water heater
Author: bernabeu (SC)

worry no more

see: [www.plumbingsupply.com]

Magnesium Anode Rod
Magnesium rods are excellent sacrificial rods, used to protect the inside metal surface of your water heater tank. The magnesium corrodes instead of your tank. Magnesium anode rods tend to be consumed quicker than Aluminum or Aluminum/Zinc/Tin anode rods due to the higher voltage they create during the sacrificial process.
3/4" o.d. rod thickness x 39" length.

Aluminum/Zinc/Tin Anode Rod
This particular combination of metal in anode rods is often used when foul odor in water is present. Zinc is a natural anti-fungal element and can help control (not completely eliminate), the growth of iron bacteria which can cause that rotten egg smell. Zinc oxide and zinc compounds are indigestible to micro-organisms such as bacteria.
3/4" o.d. rod thickness x 39" length

The Aluminum rod costs more, ergo it is NOT 'factory standard'. ~ this line contains a typo ~

Should have been: The Aluminum alloy rod costs more, ergo it is NOT 'factory standard'.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Wow, thank you so much clap
Author: Cassandra Conahay (FL)

Wow,thank you so much. aliminum Anode Rod , right ? To be sure, I'll copy everything you sent. Thanks again !

Edited 1 times.

no, do not use Aluminum anode rod

when I said "The Aluminum rod costs more, ergo it is NOT 'factory standard'." I SHOULD have said "The Aluminum alloy rod costs more, ergo it is NOT 'factory standard'."

USE:

Aluminum/Zinc/Tin Anode Rod

(an aluminum only rod, while made, is the cheapest possible and does NOT contain the key metal: zinc)

READ and UNDERSTAND the ENTIRE page linked

Edited 2 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

An anode rod with zinc may be the answer as Bern suggests. Don't bother with an aluminum rod- waste of time and cash.

Was your well AND house system chlorinated after the well was drilled? If not, this would be your starting point. It must be done and may need to be done a second time.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

ergo, means "therefore", but in your sentence syntax, you want "because".

The Aluminum rod costs more, ergo it is NOT 'factory standard'.

The Aluminum rod costs more, therefor it is NOT 'factory standard'.

The Aluminum rod costs more, because it is NOT 'factory standard'.

Nope, 'ergo' is correct.

As would be 'therefor'.

smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

quote; The Aluminum rod costs more, ergo it is NOT 'factory standard'.

COST has NOTHING to do with being "factory standard".

Author: packy (MA)

therefor ergo it does somewhat...

on a serious note (for the benefit of the OP):

what I meant was:

the aluminum ALLOY rod is the most expensive "therefor" / "ergo" it is NOT factory standard (OEM) to maximize corporate profit

there is nothing wrong with this policy as 'generally' it (the ALLOY rod) would be an unnecessary upgrade

tongue sticking out smiley

By Jove, I think he's got it!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.