Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Partial or complete repipe?
Author: newhomeownerSilverSpringMD (MD)

Hello,

We bought our house 3 years ago. It was built in 1957. We just discovered pinhole leaks in the copper pipes that have now caused leaking through the plaster ceiling in our finished basement.

The main horizontal, cold water line copper pipes are laid directly on the HVAC ducts which caused the electrolysis and thus pinhole leaks.

We have had estimates from 2 plumbers--one who wants to repipe the entire house and the other who says we can get away with just repiping the basement copper pipes that lay on the HVAC system. The goal in either case is to reroute pipes so they do not touch the ducts.

Should we bite the bullet and repipe the entire house now or simply repipe the basement where the known pinhole leaks are? With the copper pipes being behind plaster/drywall we have no way of knowing how the rest of the pipes look/how close they are to the HVAC ducts on the first floor.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Partial or complete repipe?
Author: packy (MA)

a couple of strategically located holes in the plaster walls and you can see for yourself the condition of the piping behind them. then you can answer your questions about their condition.

Good idea! I am guessing that if the copper pipes are about 60 years old we will have to replace them eventually anyway. Is there any plus/minus to doing some now and some later?

I guess what I am not looking forward to is the plumber having to take down lots of walls/go through tile, etc. for the entire repiping.

Edited 1 times.

Dare I ask--we plan to go with PEX going forward. One plumber suggested PVC. Any reason we should go with one or the other? I would like to avoid copper (proximity to other metals, hard water, etc.)

Author: packy (MA)

if you are going to open some areas of the walls and ceilings, do a complete repipe.
i see no advantage to using cpvc over pex.
using pex will minimize the number of joints buried in the walls/ceiling.
others may disagree but i would use pex...

Author: hj (AZ)

Electrolysis only occurs when both metals are immersed in water.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.