Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Big plumbing issue
Author: erik (IL)

So i am redoing my kitchen and I have opened up a can of worms with the drain lines. I have found the following issues.

1. Steel 2" Pipe's corroded and jammed packed with buildup. -- Replacing pipes
2. Multiple P Traps in a row... -- Removed the 2nd P Trap
3. Pipes don't have a 1/4" down slope..
4. When my sump/ejector pump kicks on, debris and water goes up to the Tee where the kitchen sink connects and i am assuming this is why the pipes to my kitchen sink are full of crap.
5. I am going to also assume that the sewer line to the street will need to be rodded as well. (House was built in the 50's)
6. Side issue, The bath tub uses a drum trap. From the bath tub floor to the top of the drum trap is about an inch difference. So the tub drain's slow and we are always standing in water, so annoying and nasty. Not to mention there is probably a venting issues as well.

I will be replacing the pipes for the kitchen with 2" PVC pipe's. They will be vented by a existing 2" vent pipe that is in good shape. However i don't want to use the existing connection to the main sewer line because that stack is only a 2" pipe for that vertical stack. The tee for the kitchen sink is only about 6" higher that the tee for the sump pump. I really don't want the pressure from the sump pump water going up to the sink's drain line.

So with that being said, i have come up with the following idea.

First, off I don't want to mess with the existing main 4" Vertical stack that is cast iron. Right above it is two toilets and i don't want to make this a bigger project than what it already is.

I was thinking on the main sewer line of removing the clean out plug. Then installing a 4" PVC WYE with one male threads to the cast iron sewer line, then the other side will have a clean out. The WYE part will create another 3" or 4" vertical stack to service the kitchen sink and bath tub. I am good with venting as there is another 2" Vent pipe that i can easily tie the top of this stack into.

Any other ideas??? Anything wrong with this idea??

Edited 1 times.

Re: Big plumbing issue
Author: packy (MA)

i would be very suprised if the plug you propose unscrewing is full size 4 inch. check that carefully..
the vent you propose for the tub can not be run at 90 deg until you get it higher than the tub. 45 deg is max by code.

Author: hj (AZ)

The main problem is that it is NOT a 4" plug, but rather a 3 1/2" one and you will not find ANYTHING, other than another plug, that will fit that size thread.

Thanks for the info thumbs
Author: erik (IL)

Thanks for the info, this save me from wasting some of my time. I was hoping that it would be a 3" or 4" clean out.

For the bathtub in the drawing it's a new drain line, i want to get rid of that drum trap and have a P trap that is a couple of inch further down. For the vent i was going to setup a Vent like you would for a kitchen island where it goes up to ~30~36" and then back under the floor to access the vent pipe. Like so but for a bath tub.

Edited 1 times.

Author: ex apprentice 28 (MA)

You may be able to wet vent the tub with the lav if the lav drain connects to the tub drain.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.