Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower pressure
Author: Shahidikram (KY)

I have a delta 1700 series shower valve that is installed in a stall shower with no tub.
The water pressure in the shower has dropped. I have changed the valve itself and all gaskets. The pressure is still low. I believe there is some debris, most likely some calcium build up, that is clogging the area that feeds into the small shower opening within the valve assembly.
Short of unsoldering the plug that plugs the down flow and cleaning the area out, is there anything else I should try?
Can I pour down CLR in through the shower head pipe down into the valve area and hope that will clean out any calcified or rust clog? Will it damage anything else. We have plastic pipes for plumbing in the wall.

Re: Shower pressure
Author: m & m (MD)

Hydrochloric acid would do the best job on calcium/scale. Just be sure to run the shower for 3-4 minutes afterward to flush it out.

We have to assume that you have ruled out the shower head.

Edited 1 times.

Yes. Flow with the shower head removed is much less than before or compared to other showers.
Since the valve cartridge itself does not seem blocked. ( I changed that, and that did not help)., I assume the debris is small. But how can it clog the opening to the the riser pipe is the mystery??

Author: csda634 (CT)

I had a similar issue recently, and I determined it to be mineral deposits in my mixer valve in the basement near the boiler. I got a repair kit, new seals, etc and good as new. That was after I had replaced the valve cartridge on the shower valve.

Our problem is only in the one shower. I do believe though that the debris came from a water heater. We have two and is not normally used. This happened after we had brought the second (electric) water heater on line.
I have replaced the cartridge and all seals in that valve. The only thing left is the valve brass fittings that are soldered into the inlet pipes and shower riser in the wall. That's why I am considering putting CLR instead of having a plumber disassemble the assembly in the wall and clean it that way.

I read on the CLR can that it is not recommended to be used on brass and copper.
And someone said it may have a bad effect on the valve cartridge which is made of plastic.

Is there a safe way or time limit for which to use CLR in this way?
Is there a safer alternative which would be equally effective?

Author: packy (MA)

i don't know if this is any milder but it too will work..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.