Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Expansion Tank install and bleeding?
Author: csda634 (CT)

This season after my oil-fired hot water boiler (used both for radiant heating and domestic hot water) are used, I'll get about a half-quart of scalding water spraying out of the pressure relief valve. The valve itself is only a year old. I've read on the internet, the next thing it could be is the expansion tank.
I want to do this myself, and not hire a pro to come in and do it. Any advice? I'm handy otherwise, but I have heard I'll need to bleed the system. Looking arond my Utica boiler (circa early 1990's) I don't see any obvious places to do bleed it. Or do I just bleed it from each radiator?

Re: Expansion Tank install and bleeding?
Author: hj (AZ)

The easiest way to do it on a heating system is to remove the pressure from the system, then remove the tank and pressurize it before reinstalling it. "BLeeding" the system would do nothing for what you want to do.

Author: m & m (MD)

Unless you have a valve that isolates your expansion tank from the system, you'll need to drain the pressure off the system, remove the tank and install a new one, then refill. This process will usually introduce air into the system. How the air is removed largely depends on original system design/installation.

Author: packy (MA)

if you have radiant heat, it is very complicated to remove the air. might be better off with a pro..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Many homeowners confuse the terms. Radiant heat refers to under slab, under floor, in wall, in ceiling. It entails long loops, snaked within any of those surfaces. Does your system have a bladder type expansion tank now? Or an old style large tank, up between the floor joists?

Author: hj (AZ)

Baseboard heat is ALSO "radiant" as well as convective.

Author: csda634 (CT)

Ok i have the cast iron 'radiators' throughout the house with a bleeder valve on each. and the expansion tank is mounted up near the ceiling above my boiler, its one of those Amtrol tanks with the rubber diaphram inside.

Knock on the tank, see if there is a noticeable difference in the sound, top to bottom. If not, there is a Schrader valve on the bottom of the tank, like a bicycle tire valve. Let a tiny amount of air out. There shouldn't be any water there. If there is the tank is no good. What is the pressure on the system when it's down? We can help you replace the tank, let's just make sure it is the problem, first.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i always use one of these expansion tank valves on new installs. on change outs i add a shut off with a drain.

Webstone makes a lot of cool stuff.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.