Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Concrete Floor Leak
Author: Thomas1904 (CA)

I have water leaking through a concrete floor. I have had the incoming water lines checked for leaks and no issue. But I need to check the drainage lines. So I'm wondering what is the best way to check drainage lines for leaks under a concrete floor. Can this be done without special tooling or do you need some expertise on site to do this? The water coming through the floor looks worse in the are closer to the bathroom - the bathroom floor does not show any leaks but it does have tiling on the floor. And I'm not sure where the drain lines run under the floor. So any input on how I may diagnose this issue would be appreciated. Also, there is an outside gutter drain line that I believe runs under the floor to the main drain line. Is it normal to connect a rain drain line to the bathroom drain lines or are there kept separate?

Thanks
Thomas

Re: Concrete Floor Leak
Author: packy (MA)

use some flourescent dye in the drains. if any are leaking, it will show up on the cement floor.

Author: hj (AZ)

The drain lines are NOT PRESSURIZED so any leak would go DOWN into the ground not up to the concrete floor surface, (they would not have enough pressure to work their way through the concrete anyway), so your diagnosis may be incorrect.

Thanks. I will look into this

So if the drain lines are not the cause then what should I look for? I have been told but other experts that a drain line can cause excessive moisture in the concrete. At least they have had experience with this type of issue.

Edited 1 times.

Author: drsusan32 (CA)

Hope you don't have slab leak in copper pipes like we do.Our leak detection group errored and diagnosed cold water leak but it really was hot water leak. It has all been very frustrating. We saw no water in bathroom but that is where hot water leak was as tile warm. First we heard sound of running water there but later sound disappeared about time floor tile became warm.

Author: hj (AZ)

It would have to saturate the entire ground under the slab before it would start to gravitate upwards. I have never seen it happen.

drSusan32 - no copper pipes or incoming water under the concrete floor. And we have checked incoming water lines for the house and no leaks.

HJ - well I have been told of drainage line leaking under concrete. And we did have rain here in CA prior to see water leak in the concrete. I have also been told if there is poor ground drainage then this may cause moisture coming up in the concrete - an issue with basements. And our place is below grade.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.