Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewer Line question w/ video
Author: caseynshan (CO)

See youtube video after it had been snaked here: [youtu.be]

we believe the lines are original (95 years old), but some sections have been replaced.
(all measurements from cleanout)
It is approximately 60 feet, with the last 30 feet being under a garage, and has a incoming pipe at around 20 feet and a ‘Belly’ at approximately 21-28 feet. We think the belly ends before the garage.

It backed up twice this Spring. (However we do have two new tweens in the house, and we have since had a discussion about being careful what items are ‘flushable’)

We’ve had one plumbing company recommend pipe bursting or lining, and one recommend holding and seeing how it goes.(but they did give us an estimate of 8k to 17k to replace, depending on if they had to replace under the garage. (involves knocking over a fence.)
We don’t want to spend the money if we don’t have to, but want to do some landscaping in the back yard. We don’t want to have to tear that up 6 months after we do the landscaping.

Here are the questions.
# 1 - Should we do something before landscaping?
# 2 - Assuming # 1 yes. We think we can’t do bursting or lining because of belly?
# 3 - Assuming #1 yes, Does it make sense to replace belly, and go ahead and line or burst section under garage while yard is dug up?
# 4 - Assuming # 1 yes, do they really have to do a backhoe and knock over the fence?
#5- can you still snake a lined section of pipe?

Re: Sewer Line question w/ video
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That doesn't look too bad to me, even if you bought a sewer tape and cleaned it once a year you would still be way ahead over replacing the pipe.

NC plumber. Thanks for the reply. smiling smiley

NC plumber. Thanks for the reply.

Edited 2 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

simply have it snaked annually

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

If you have an exposed clean out... consider a high pressure, portable hydro-spray and learn how to use it. Once a year, open the clean out and "Give it a Go" Its much cheaper than your other options.

Best Wishes

Thanks everyone.

i should add that the first time it clogged, snaking it did not work (they kind of jetted it with my garden hose.. their jetter was tied up, and he tried my hose tied to his snake while waiting and that worked... $20 hose is cheaper than $800 jet).

So my plan (I've done it twice so far) is to do a 'system flush' once every 3 months or so to help clear the belly...
i fill up the bathtub and kitchen sink, then fill up a few 5 gallon buckets outside.. Then i put the hose down the street facing cleanout and turn it on, then go open the plugs on the tub and sink, flush a few times, then pour the 5 gallon buckets down the cleanout...

Is this a good idea?

Edited 1 times.

Armchair.

would this likely suffice for what you are suggesting..

[www.homedepot.com]
[www.homedepot.com]

(I'd need a longer hose, but basically this setup)

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.