Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 toilet intake valve keeps running -- and cannot shut off water
Author: J222 (Non-US)

A bizarre series of events has led to this:

My toilet intake valve runs continuously, and needs to be replaced (cannot be repaired). AND, all my water shut off valves are not working or accessible (yes its true, both inside and outside the house)

Would it be crazy to turn on all water taps to lessen the water pressure -- and attempt to quickly install the new intake valve into the toilet while the water is running? I know it would be a messy affair - but the only other option I have is to watch my money slowly going down the toilet until the City can repair the underground shut off valve.

Any ideas or opinions appreciated.

Jay

Re: toilet intake valve keeps running -- and cannot shut off water
Author: packy (MA)

i don't know your situation but in an extreme emergency you can shut your main shut off valve to slow things down, cut the pipe somewhere easy and slide on a sharkbite ball valve. make sure the valve is in the open position and shut it once it has locked onto the pipe. open your main and you will be good to go...

Author: hj (AZ)

You COULD NOT "install the valve" fast enough to prevent a major flood in the house. You have a shutoff at the meter.

Author: packy (MA)

i was assuming that by shutting his main valve, even if it did not work, it would slow the flow down to a fast trickle. this would allow for a 'add a valve on the fly' wet moment.

Author: RRWA (WA)

If you have a flexible supply line at the toilet, you could clamp it or kink it to stop the water.

And after he has the valve installed, then what? The supply is NOT going to "unkink" and may crack if he tries to do it.

I get your point. But for a flexible(vinyl or stainless braid) supply in good condition, this idea will work.

It MIGHT, but you would still have to let it flood when you remove it from the valve, before you can "kink" it, then unkink it before you could reattach it causing another flood. I would no want to try it.

I was thinking about kinking or clamping it before disconnecting anything, so there would be no flood at all.

To clamp it, you should use something like this: google : OTC 4510 Hose Pinch-off Plier.

I am just throwing out an idea here for a fairly hopeless situation. I understand it is not a perfect idea, but I am just trying to help.

Did you have any suggestions?

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Jomar- Add A Valve, just might be the answer to your issue. Not sure if your mechanical skills are up to performing this task or not. Its good on copper and galvanize pipes.

Also, a Licensed Plumber will know exactly when to do.... and how to do it, in the least amount of time.
Do it right the first time so you won't have to do it Twice the second time.

Best Wishes

Nothing that I would suggest anyone ever trying, because once you start you are committed till the end, regardless of how much flooding occurs. It is like the man who called me at 3;00 a.m. after he tried to repair his Delta faucet without turning the water off. But, in his case, I had to find which meter was his and where it was among about 50 spread around the area. Luckily most of the water was going into the bathtub and he could bucket it out and dispose of it outside.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.