Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Advice on BEST flush parts kits, please?
Author: GeeDeezy (LA)

Long story short: 3 toilets, 10 years, 27 times ripping out all flush parts to repair drips and leaks; tired!

I want to replace my toilets flushing parts with the absolute best parts there are, in hopes of not having to replace them again for 10 years.

Can someone please advise as to the absolute best kits to use? I don't care about the cost, I just want to never replace them again!

Help!

Re: Advice on BEST flush parts kits, please?
Author: m & m (MD)

27 repairs????!!! You'll need to tell us what exactly you have replaced in order for us to help you.

Literally everything inside the toilet tank, including the handles. I even resorted to having a plumber come out and replace the guts of all three tanks, and a month later 2 of 3 are leaking again. His response? Get new toilets!?!?!??

I am looking at one of these "flapless" systems sold by the major retails, anyone have an opinion?

Author: packy (MA)

i've installed a couple. they seem to flush OK.
but, if you think this is less liable to need repairs than just replacing a flapper ???

Author: bernabeu (SC)

IMO: OEM parts are best

eg. kohler parts for a kohler toilet

however

your numbers indicate just under 1 repair per year per toilet

if 'cheapo' toilets that is par for the course

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Anyone have advice on these Flapperless Danco systems?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

they MUST have SOME FORM of 'rubber/plastic' seal

you evidently need higher quality toilets not higher quality 'parts'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: WC (VA)

You may have unusual water chemistry. Too acid or alkaline. A cheap $10 pool water test kit will tell you what the acid / alkaline status is.

I have a American Standard toilet installed in 1972 which still has the ORIGINAL flapper which does not leak. My deep well water is extremely alkaline - not acid. The fill valve has been replaced once (maybe twice) -- who knows in 43 years.

NOT a plumber -- but a good replacement for a flapper is the Mansfield "FLAPPER-LESS" 210 or 211. See this website's sponsor "PlumbingSupply". I learned that many small business / restaurants / bars use them. You will have to remove the toilet tank for a new installation, BUT once installed, the major repair if/when needed is only the red rubber gasket at the bottom -- a $2 part, three minute repair -- just ensure the new gasket is properly installed within the bottom groove.

Author: hj (AZ)

I have "replaced" very few flush kits over the past 65 years. All I usually need are good flappers and once in a while a good fill valve.

Yes, if that was his response, then get a "NEW PLUMBER", because toilets seldom need to be replaced unless you get tired of looking at them or you break them.

The Plumber's been replaced. Any comments on the Flapperless Systems?

I have not, nor will I, used them. They are too specialized when it comes to finding repair parts for them. And when a toilet is repaired PROPERLY, it may be years before they need additional service.

Author: RRWA (WA)

I have good luck with the Fluidmaster 400a valve and the RED rubber flappers.
A properly repaired toilet should go for at least a few years without any troubles.

I wonder what kinds of problems you've been having.

The first thing I'd do is check your water pressure at various times of the day.
If your water pressure is too high, it can damage the toilet valve or cause it to slowly leak.
Second, check your water chemistry. Especially if your flappers are wearing out quickly.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

First of All... Are all of your toilets the same brand? Same model? What brand and model do you have? Once we know this answers, we can advise you ...... the best priced repair parts.

Using the Danco component might work, but if it doesn't... can you return it for a total refund X3.

Do it right the 1st Time, so you don't have to do it Twice, the second time.
Best Wishes

In many, if not most, cases, OEM parts are just generic parts with the manufacturer's name on them.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I don't believe that Danco, makes original parts for any major manufacturer, but I could be mistaken.
Best Wishes

Korky, Fluidmaster, etc. DO, however.

Well thank you all for the input clap

Well thank you all for the input. I thought I would give you an update on my experiences, as I installed two of the HydroStop flapperless systems this past week.

1) Did they solve the immediate problem (flappers over time not doing a good job of sealing, thus leaking water)? Yes. Immediately after installation (about 10 minutes per toilet), the issue was resolved.

I did come to appreciate that these flappers are not bad technology, but have two problems in my opinion: (1) they do tend to stiffen over time and give less sealing ability and (2) the initial installer really needs to install overflow tube so that the flapper drops straight down to make a good seal. All of my toilets did not have the overflow tubes installed this way. #1 is generally easy to resolve: just put in a new flapper. #2 needs to be fixed during install, or you will have to come back and fix it later, meaning a complete pull apart of the toilet. My problem was that the chain from the handle was dragging on the flappers so that they tended not to drop straight down, thus leaving a small gap and creating leaks.

2) Cost: the Flapperless system was about the same price as the parts need to completely replace the guts of the toilet tank. Not dirt cheap, but not ridiculously expensive either. If it works long term, I will be satisfied.

3) Longevity: the HydroStop is 100% plastic and rubber. Not a piece of metal to be seen, although I would guess there is a spring in there made of metal (it is not seen). Good news is that less metal means less chance of rusting out in the future. Bad news is that this is clearly not industrial strength plastics folks, the plastics feel on the middle-to-low end. Not “touch it once and it will break” cheap, but more like “this isn’t built to last a decade” cheap. Even the handle is relative low end plastic, and you must use their handle, so I had to remove a very classy looking upscale handle.

Also, one of the steps to lock down the device is done with a plastic tie wrap instead of a bolt-and-nut. While I know that the plastic tie wrap will not rust and break, I have no idea how long it will last. Good news is that they spent 1-cent more and included a second tie wrap in the box. Not sure if that is generous, or a warning…

4) Ease of install: 10 minutes, easy peasy. I only need one tool, but that was the remove the old handle, not to install the new one.

Based on the relatively low cost and very easy install, I am pleased so far. If it lasts a year or two, and then I have to replace it, it would have been worth it… mostly due to the 10 minute install time. If I don’t get at least a year’s use out of it (and the cheapness of it makes me wonder), than it will have been a waste.

I know you serious guys are snickering at me by now, but not all of us are handymen or have a whole Saturday afternoon to mess with these things to get them just right. Sorry to let you down, but a city boy’s gotta do what a city boy’s gotta do!

Peace!

Edited 2 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.