Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Reconnect kitchen sink pipes
Author: Susan48 (SC)

please help! I had a new kitchen sink installed along with my new counter tops. I was too cheap to pay a plumber to hook it up. However the new configuration is a problem and I have been working on it for two days without solving it.

I installed the new garbage disposal under the right sink drain and ran it to the left sink pipes. This is the same as the configuation of the previous sink.

The problem is that the new left sink drain pipes are too close to the pipe that takes the discharge out through the back wall. So the pipes coming down from the left sink drain very very close to the pipe attached to the pipe in the back wall. The two pipes are virtually side by side (about two inches apart.)

I have sawed off the fitting to shortened the pipe coming out of the wall twice and am afraid to make that wall pipe any shorter.

How can I attach the two vertical pipes or reconfigure the whole thing to make the necessary connections?

picture is upside down
picture is sideways, note pipe coming out of back wall

Edited 6 times.

Re: Reconnect kitchen sink pipes
Author: hj (AZ)

YOU SCRAP What you have done already and get "disposer drain kit" or call a plumber who knows how to connect it properly.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

shorten both the disposer ell and the kitchen sink tailpiece a little. put the tee under the disposer and the elbow under the sink. turn the elbow at the wall toward the disposer and connect the trap to it.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Remove the black disposal elbow, use a flange tailpiece horizontally out of the disposal and raise the end waste tee about 4" to catch the horizontal tailpiece.

i tip my hat to you, north carolina plumber.
as an old boss of mine used to say.. "that's why i send 2 guys on a job. one will always have a good idea"...

Author: hj (AZ)

You must not install many disposers, because that is one of the parts that come with a "disposer connection kit", which MOST plumbers use to make connections like this.

"You must not install many disposers, because that is one of the parts that come with a "disposer connection kit...
along with other frippery...

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

In that picture the disposal ell creates two unnecessary 90's in the drain piping .

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.