Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Distance between valve and spout - PLEASE HELP
Author: Rcclement (CA)

The manufacturer (Toto) and my plumber are telling me different things on this.

So apparently the distance between the valve and the spout is too short. Currently the distance is 8 inches but Toto says ideally it should be 12 inches. As a result, when I run the tub, the shower also drips.

The manufacturer tech support says it's ok to adjust the service stops on the valve to change the pressure so that this does not happen (though this may cause lack of pressure on the shower.) My plumber says it's NOT ok to use the service stops in this way because it builds too much pressure and is not a long term solution. Who is right? I would really appreciate opinion on this.

Also, is there any way that this insufficient distance between the valve and spout is causing what looks to be a very small leak in the tub spout? I say "what looks to be" because my plumber thinks there is a chance that the "leak" is actually residual water that is taking several days to come out. This sounds unlikely to us but maybe possible? Perhaps some sort of suction is created that traps the water in the pipes for days??

Re the leak in the tub spout, We've already changed the cartridge 3 times, so we know the cartridge is not causing the leak. The next step would be to change out the whole valve. Unfortunately the shower wall is already tiled.

We're trying to decide whether (A) to replace the Toto valve with another Toto valve (adjusting the service stops to stop the leak from the showerhead when we run the tub), or (cool smiley to replace it with a Kohler valve (along with a Kohler trim) which has an allowance of 7 to 18 inches for the distance between the valve and the spout. Our goal is to (1) stop the drip from the tub spout, and (2) stop the drip from the shower when the tub runs.

thank you so much for your time!!

Edited 3 times.

Re: Distance between valve and spout - PLEASE HELP
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Pex between the valve and spout will cause the shower head to drip when using the tub filler.

Author: hj (AZ)

I think someone is feeding you a line of B.S. A LONG pipe between the valve and spout COULD cause backpressure up to the shower head, but a SHORT pipe will NEVER do it. If the drip eventually stops, then it is residual water, (usually the dripping will get slower and slower between the drops). If it is valve leak then it will NEVER stop. Adjusting the service stops has absolutely NO EFFECT on whichever is causing the dripping.

Edited 1 times.

Adjusting the service stops will restrict the flow enough to keep water from coming out of the showerhead when the tub filler is being used.

Author: hj (AZ)

IT will NOT, however, eliminate whatever is causing the drip, which appears to be the REAL problem.

Correct, and with 3 different cartridges and it still drips, the valve body itself may be faulty.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.