Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 El Niño coming...need a backyard sump pump
Author: DaveMill (CA)

Everytime we get extended rain, my back yard floods because it is the lowest point in the neighborhood. Water can seep out of the soil under the house, making the settling cracks worse. This only happens every 3-4 years, as we are in California and have had a bad drought. My solution was to set out a pump in the lowest part of the backyard with a 50-ft hose and manually run it when necessary. Sometimes this kept me up late into the night...

In the past I used a Little Giant pump rated at 1200gph (but using a 5 gallon bucket, I estimated it was only pumping 200-300 gallons per hour through the long hose). It never had to run more than a 4-6 hours per day to keep the standing water from appearing. My hope is to build a small sump somewhere in the back yard and put an automatically activated pump inside it. This won't need to be a permanent installation; it is only used 1-2 times per year during years with extended storms that saturate the soil, which occur only every once per 3-4 years.

So it's due to rain hard this winter, and I'm no longer living in the house. We're about to do some water-saving landscaping, and I figure it's time to build a sump. Can anyone give me good pointers on where to start? I need to replace the Little Giant, I think I burned it out after 20 years by letting it run it dry (I fell asleep!)

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Re: El Niño coming...need a backyard sump pump
Author: packy (MA)

zoeller makes an excellent pump.
look at all these pictures to get some ideas..

[www.google.com]

===========

Ad (added by Plbg.com)

Plbg's sponsor offers them at:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Edited 1 times.

Thank you for the links big grin

Thank you for the links to Zoeller and Plumbing Supply. The latter has sump packages that look like they solve my problem. I will call them tomorrow!

Edited 2 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Before you begin the process, do you have a Storm Water Authority in your community? What and where are you going to place the storm waters. Yes, the pump is important but so is the place where you are going to transfer it.
Best Wishes

Wheelchair wrote:

>>Before you begin the process, do you have a Storm Water Authority in your community?

We get so little rain in Northern California that they haven't dreamed up that tax dollar expenditure yet! But when it does rain, it all drains into my back yard. The output will be around to the front of the house and down the driveway to the street.

Edited 2 times.

Thank you! smileys with beer

Follow-up, one year later:

Thank you Packy for recommending Zoeller. I ordered a Zoeller sump pump kit from plumbingsupply.com and installed it properly (in a huge hole surrounded with 2" rocks). It is finally raining enough to matter this weekend in Northern California, and the pump is working nicely. Such a pleasure to see all that water flowing down the driveway!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.