Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 move wet vent and shower drain
Author: guillermo22 (CA)

Hi guys. I'm changing a tub to a shower and came across an issue I'd like to run by the professionals. The vent protudes out of the wall (which was hidden by tub) in a bad spot. I'd like to move this protrusion to the right right of the picture (below). The new protusion will be hidden by an enclosed triangular foot rest that my wife conveniently wants there anyways.

My concern is the method I use to move the assembly. As you can see a 2 inch toilet drain comes from the left and then connects to a 2x1.5x1.5 tee. The center of the tee is the vent and the right side is the tub drain. If I move it to the right, the most convenient method would involve the vent being the right side and the drain in the center. Does it matter what order?

Also, is it a problem to move the vent farther away from the toilet drain? Right now it's 4' and moving it to the right would make it 5.5'.

Re: move wet vent and shower drain
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You can't have a horizontal dry vent below the floor. You need the trap first, then a 2" X 1 1/2" wye rolled up on a 45 with the 1 1/2" being the vent. You may need to run the trap toward the wall then use a long sweep 90 so that you can hide the 1 1/2" pipe that's running on a 45. Once you get in the wall you use another 45 to get the vent vertical.

Thanks for the reply smile

thanks for the reply. I'm having a tough time imagining what you're describing. Is the trap the most upstream, or the vent?

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Shower trap is most upstream.

Thanks Steve, appreciate it thumbs

Thanks Steve, appreciate it.

Edited 1 times.

Author: cjatPlbg (CA)

I have exactly the same question as the original post, but I see the image of the solution from Steve is no longer in this reply. Is it possible for someone to repost or post a new image of the solution? Much appreciated.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.