Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Waste Pipe Repair
Author: obliord (MD)

I am an amateur diy'er who has never worked with PVC before. My project is to lay floor tile in my bathroom. I removed the linoleum and am down to the sub-floor. I saw that the toilet flange was screwed directly into the sub-floor, and my research told me that it should be placed on top of the finished floor so I set out to remove the existing flange with a chisel so I could glue in a new one after I laid the tile.

Long story short, I severely damaged the waste pipe and only partially removed the flange (I stopped when I saw how much I had cracked it).

I'd appreciate some advice on what my next step is. Is the waste pipe in any way repairable or do I have to cut the whole thing out and replace it all. If I have to replace it all, where do I cut exactly and how would I go about putting in a replacement piece?

I have included a shot of the waste pipe coming out of the floor and a reverse angle so you can see just how much I damaged it. I also included a shot of what lays beyond the opening. I'm guessing that smaller pipe joining in from the left is from my shower drain.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Re: Waste Pipe Repair
Author: bernabeu (SC)

now you call in a plumber

you have wasted nothing but your time

the plumber will have to 'open 'er up', either from above or below as the elbow will need replacement

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: packy (MA)

not the end of the world.. you will have to lift up some of the floor to get access further along that pipe. then it can be repaired fairly easily by someone with experience.
then the floor can be replaced and you can continue with your tiling..

Thank you for taking the time to reply. I would like to attempt this myself before calling in someone who actually knows what they are doing smiling smiley. Where are you saying the cut needs to be made on the following photo, 1, 2, or 3?

Thank you!

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

That looks to me like a st. 90. If so you make the cut at #1, use a ram bit to remove the pipe from the hub of the next fitting, and glue a new piece of pipe and another st.90 in it's place.

Thank you for your reply. I want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that it is likely a slip socket like the following picture and that I should cut where they two pipes are joined, drill out the half piece of pipe that will be left inside the pipe I am connecting the new 90 to, and making a new slip socket?

Assuming that I am understanding correctly, why wouldn't the lip of the small piece of pvc that joins two larger pieces catch stuff thats flushed down the toilet and promote clogs? Everytime I read something about putting in a toilet flange everyone always emphasizes how important it is to sand down any burrs so stuff doesn't catch on them, how would that little shelf the end of the pipe inside that joins not do the same thing?

Again, I really appreciate everyone's time here.

Author: hj (AZ)

You have already caused enough damage by not knowing what you were doing. Don't compound the damage and make it worse. Call a plumber

I appreciate the advice, but I really enjoy the learning process. All the extra money and time I spend doing things myself are prices I am happy to pay for the experience and pleasure I get from doing things myself which is why I posted to a "DIY and educational" forum.

Edited 3 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

You will probably be cutting on line # 1 and then removing the pipe from the "Y" fitting.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The inside diameter of the fitting is basically the same as the inside diameter of the pipe, so when the pipe is fully seated in the hub of the fitting there is no "lip" to catch anything.

Thanks for everyone's help... smiling smiley

Thanks for everyone's help, I now have a game-plan and a shopping list. I appreciate everyone's time in helping me learn. What a great forum.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i'm guessing you have a 4 x 3 PVC closet bend that you damaged..

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.