Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 No hub connection - Have pictures is this connection okay?
Author: Lee (NJ)

Plumber came over and layed new PVC sewer pipe outside house in trench. Old sewer pipe was cast iron, hanging in basement off of joists.

I have pictures would you guys tell me if I will be in trouble with the way the "no hub coupling" is attached to the cast iron pipe? The new sewer pipe is crooked at the "no hub coupling connection. There is a little bit of moisture on the bottom of the pipe at the connection(there is a very slight leak). The plumber said and showed me that the sewer pipe where the no hub coupling is connected is partially clogged. He said he would come back and clean that pipe out another time. Do the Plumbers out there not care if there is a very slight leak since it is buried? I just don't know?

After I saw his work I went and checked whether or not the Plumber attained the 1/8 inch pitch for the 4 inch sewer pipe. There is two sections of 10 foot PVC Schedule 40 pipe that were actually level, further, there were two sections that had negative pitch(it is going uphill) of approximately 1/4 to 3/8 inch. I looked into the clean out while I had the wife flush the toilet and I did not see any toilet paper, just some water. Does one flush actually make it out through the sewer pipe? or does refuse stop in the middle of the sewer pipe somewhere and come out later? I was looking at the cleanout right next to the "no hub coupling" at the connection to city sewer.

I do not want to cover pipe if work is wrong. Yes I did pull permits.

Thank you

Edited 1 times.

Re: No hub connection - Have pictures is this connection okay?
Author: steve (CA)

There should be no leakage or seepage from the connections. There should be no level or back-pitched pipes. Has the inspector seen the installation yet? Have the installer make the repairs to make this a legal installation.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If the plumber just replaced the pipe from point A to point B and it's level and running up hill, either point A will need to be raised or point B lowered.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the work was performed by a shoemaker NOT by a plumber

regardless of what was said or claimed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Good Morning Steve and NC Plumber:

Thank you for your quick reply as this is very troubling.

The Plumbing inspector has not seen the install as of yet. He will be out soon not sure when. Is it possible that some shifting down occurred when we back filled with sand? Is there usally some play(or wiggle room) to move pipe? I am thinking that possibly I could go out and lift up pipe and finish placing sand under pipe? I could maybe place cement block and brick underneath pipe lift up alittle, check with level and place sand under pipe to support it?

What about that "no hub coupling" connection is that supposed to be absolutely straight? I believe the cast iron sewer pipe that it is connected to is on a slant.

It is getting cold must get this done have time constraints cannot wait for Plumber to come back. Have lost faith in Plumber. That is why I am thinking of just lifting pipe up and placing sand underneath.

Thank you

Author: hj (AZ)

IF you have a permit, then you should also have an inspection, and I doubt that an inspector would pass that connection. He would have been limited as to the amount of pitch/slope by the locations of the two existing pipe he was joining, unless he was able to raise or lower them.

Usually, if the inspector rejects it, the plumber HAS to make the repair.

HJ:

Thank you for answering my question about the "No Hub Coupling" connection

Another thing about that "little" drip. IF water can get out, the roots will DEFINITELY be able to get in.

the 'no-hub' connection/clamp between the PVC and CI should be 'straight as an arrow'

any 'adjustment' should be made downstream (possibly with a heated 'bend' in the PVC)

pitch issues NEED to be corrected NOW while the trench is open

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if there is a problem with getting the joint tight, a 4 band clamp will work better.

P/S, why was primer applied to the pipe?

Aren't all PVC joints suppose to be primed? wink

Thank you! thumbs

Wow!!

I am getting an education here on this website! I am grateful that you guys are out there for people who would otherwise be taken advantage of.

HJ: That really sounds like common sense. Roots would get in there.

Bernabeu: Thank you very much for clearing up to me that the connection at the 'no hub coupling" between PVC and Cast Iron should be 'straight as an arrow'.

I am very glad you guys have bothered to help me.

God Bless you. I am going back out there right now to see if I can improve pitch in the trench. I will keep in touch about this situation.

Thank you,

Lee

Edited 1 times.

Packy's suggestion of a 4 band clamp is also good - cheap insurance

Author: sum (FL)

terrible work.

and he used PVC primer on a no hub connection? That is scary.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

He wants to make sure the glue holds. wink

Author: mr leak (CA)

primer is to be used to glue pvc to pvc pipe this is not the case where a no hub coupling is being attached to pvc. He does not have a clue as to what he is doing A ho hub coupling is not a glue application hence the ss bands and clamps Secondly I would not use this type of coupling I would use a Fernco coupling

Author: packy (MA)

if the clamp is installed within 10 feet of the house then (under my code) it must be sheilded. an all rubber fernco is not allowed.

Thank you applause

I have fixed the pitch of the pipe in the trench.

I am in the process of backfilling.

I will point out to the Plumbing Inspector when he comes over the house the "no hub coupling" connection to see what he reccomends. I will report back.

Thank you

Edited 1 times.

Backfilling without getting an inspection first?

Do NOT backfill until the inspector gives the OK.

TRUST ME

The inspector will want to see EVERYTHING after he sees the 'coupling abortion'.

However, if you need SOME fill to correct pitch, go ahead.

PHOTOGRAPH EVERYTHING

Yes exactly. I am just placing sand underneath pipe to support pipe. That is what the inspector said to do.

Yes, when they are GLUED together.

When the Inspector comes I will report back. It will be some time until he comes.

Thank you again everyone!

Author: hi (TX)

how about a picture of the cleanout that he put in your new pipe??

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.