Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 septic vent pipe smell
Author: coloradojulie (CO)

I have a septic vent pipe that runs in the wall of my bedroom closet. On heavy snow days AND windy days, there is horrible odor that fills our bedroom and closet. It is getting unbearable to sleep in our bedroom anymore. It seems to happen after flushing the toilet and there is no gurgling sound. Do you think a plumber is needed? or is there something we can do ourselves. We have only lived in this house a couple years. I can see why they sold it! It seems the odor is bleeding right thru the wall where the pipe runs.

Re: septic vent pipe smell
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It might be that a fitting was left unglued, a nail has pierced the pipe, or the vent was never extended thru the roof. It may take a bit of detective work but the solution should be simple once the problem is found.

it sounds like I may have to open the wall then? I know for sure it is going thru the roof (just like I am!!)

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You might be able to cap the pipe underneath the floor and fill it with either air or water to help pinpoint the leak. I've saw carpenters anchor closet shelving to a pipe before, their stud finder showed something being there and they assumed it was a 2" X 4 ". Moldings, either base or crown have also been accidently nailed to pipes before. That would be in the top or bottom plate making the repair a bit more difficult.

Thanks for all the input! thumbs

it is built on a cement slab so no going under....I do think someone may have nailed into the pipe also. we are going to try to push a hose thru first to see if maybe something fell into the pipe from above. and may also run water thru. The pipe sticks straight up thru the roof with no screen or hood on it. we are thinking about putting a hood going forward. so we shall see! just trying to get some DIY ideas before spending $$$ on a plumber! Thanks for all the input!

Edited 1 times.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Its could be a hole in the vertical vent pipe... but it could be several other things. A septic pro would know exactly where to look and what to do. When was the last time your septic system (tank) was serviced and cleaned? How old is your septic system?

Best Wishes

Thanks Wheelchair! big grin

thanks Wheelchair! this house (barn converted to house) is 12 years old. I'm thinking septic is same. we bought just over 2 years ago-we did have the tank pumped out last year. I wasnt sure if a plumber should come out to check or the septic guy?? I know they can put a camera down the pipe to see where the prob would be....I just didnt know which guy to call!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.