Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Need Recommendation - Fix or Replace Shower Panel
Author: LiveItEz (CA)

Hello!

I have a shower panel installation that has been working well for 5 years but has started leaking in the last few days. The on/off & temperature control knob has started leaking and has been continuously dripping. The dripping varies depending on the position of the knob but it never goes to zero.

I am looking for a recommendation to see if it would be viable & cheaper to fix or replace. If you recommend replacement, do you think I am better off replacing with another panel to avoid less installation work to maintain look and feel *or* can I go with a regular shower head installation? After not having used all the panels, I am wondering if I should switch to a plain vanilla shower head installation instead of something fancy smiling smiley but at the same time I am looking for the least amount of tile work to be done with the installation.

I would appreciate your insights.

Here are the pics of the installation and the leaky part.

Thanks!

Shower Panel - [drive.google.com]
Shower Installation - [drive.google.com]
Exact Leak Location - [drive.google.com]
Leaky Part - [drive.google.com]
Leaky Part - [drive.google.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Need Recommendation - Fix or Replace Shower Panel
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If it's leaking where you indicated, then you could probably tear those plastic clamps off and use a stainless steel worm gear clamp to stop the leakage.

Thanks for the input smile

Thanks for the input. Your post gave me hope and this time I put in extra effort to find the exact location of the leak. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a clamp issue. The question is that part (control valve - [www.amazon.com]?) easily replaceable or should I be looking to change the whole unit.

Advise would be appreciated!

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

i don't think that valve replaces the one you have. they look very different to me.
you could make the replacement valve work but you have to replace some ( or all) of the connections to it.

Thanks for your reply, do you know what kind of valve would I need? I am not sure if I can find one easily as this was a Chinese/Asian fixture.

Also, if I just replace the current set-up with a conventional shower head + single-lever, would I have get tiles broken/re-done? Or for replacement, should I stick to exposed wall mounted or panels to retain the current clean finish of the bathroom.

Author: steve (CA)

Can you see if the leak is coming out of a hole in the valve body or could it be a bad gasket(o ring)?

Thanks for all the inputs. Ended up getting professional help and it turns out the cartridge is broken which was causing the leak. The fun part now is that the replacement cartridge is not easy to find as this was an Asian/Chinese panel ... contacted the place where we got the panel from and he is asking $120 for the part disappointed - I am wondering if its better to just get a new branded panel/system thinking ... Thoughts based on experience?

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.