Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Baseboard Heating Question
Author: cfny9 (NY)

Hello, I'm new to this site and I'm looking for advice to hear my garage this coming winter.
I have a single story ranch with a basement that is heated with an electric hot water heater that supplies heat to the baseboards on the main floor. There is an attached garage that has a baseboard heater installed, but they are not connected to the water supply. My question is could I just connect the garage baseboard to the supply and return lines and use a ball valve to cut supply to the garage when it is not needed? The lines are already there, they are just not connected and I am worried that attaching them with throw off the balance of the system.

Re: Baseboard Heating Question
Author: packy (MA)

the big question... how are the house baseboards piped? if it is a continuous loop then you could cut the loop and extend it to the garage but you can not shut the garage heat or the loop will not function.
you can add a couple of monoflow tees to the loop and feed the garage that way. then you can shut a ball valve to stop the flow to the garage but the house will continue to heat.
option 2 is what i would choose..

Author: Paul48 (CT)

You're using an electric hot water heater as a boiler? There's too many unknowns to be able to answer your question. That isn't a very efficient way to heat your house, unless you're using solar.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I would be concerned about the garage loop freezing and bursting if you turn it off.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.