Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 basement bathroom
Author: Paul Lombardo (PA)

I'm adding a full bath to my basement. I've been doing some research and I would like some assistance getting a material list together and looking for some plumbing guidance.... where the toilet is, I want to do 2 45 ' s and stub out of the conc with a vertical piece of 3" pvc and cut and install a 3 in push in flange later. I'm going to be using an ejector pump. I'm not concerned about the vent or discharge coming out of the ejector pump just yet. The snap in gasket for the sewage pit is 4" and I want to run my drain in 3". I assume I can just make this transition right before the pit. Do I use san-tees or wyes? Any problem with pitching the water more than 1/4 per foot since I have 10" to go down. I made a drawing. I'll try to post it. THANKS in advance.

[s1382.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: basement bathroom
Author: bernabeu (SC)

based upon your questions:

get a permit

and

hire an actual plumber

if you can't afford to do it right, don't do it at all - you will regret your mistakes DEARLY

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: m & m (MD)

Keep the drain from the toilet to the receptor at 4".

Author: steve (CA)

Shower needs a trap and ALL fixtures need to be vented. Ditto the 4" toilet riser.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

Y'all mean they must be plumbed PROPERLY?

Who wouda thought?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thank you, i did not think of that.

Steve, thanks. I know every fixture needs a trap and a vent. If i use a san-tee's will that vent everything? I will be venting the pit after I'm roughed in under the conc as well.

Author: packy (MA)

put a 2 inch Y in the branch going to the shower. use that for the drain for the vanity and a wet vent for the shower and toilet.
i would run 3 inch to the toilet with a 4 x 3 90 at the toilet. cement and tile right up to the 4 inch riser and use a toilet flange that fits inside 4 inch for the finish..

[s1382.photobucket.com]

Hey guys. I posted a revised drawing.... I changed the 3" line to 4". Does that solve some problems? Is the 4x4x1 1/4 san-tee ok? I'm also a bit confused if I should be using san-tee's or wyes. I know the difference is for venting but I don't know which one gives me the correct vent in this scenario. I want to do everything 100% by the book.

Packy- thanks for responding. I posted before I read your comment... I was thinking just to keep it simple I'd just keep the drain at 4". Good idea? If the drain line slopes a lot more than 1/4 per ft, that's good, correct?

Bernabeu- i can appreciate constructive criticism but don't discredit me so quickly. I am not a plumber but I do work in the trades. Please keep an eye on the post and feel free to give me more criticism, but try to steer me in the right direction. At the end if you still feel as though I just shouldn't do the project, let me know, but I'm pretty confident I'll be alright by the end. I normally don't start projects til I feel 100% comfortable. If everyone on here were master plumbers, who would be asking questions? Theres a lot i could learn from your education and experience, im sure. Thank you.

Packy- i reread your post.... You're saying I should extend the 2 " drain for the shower into the wall to double as a drain for the vanity as well. Is it okay if I use 90 degree elbows to bring it up the wall for the vanity? Where should I bump it down to 1 1/4? Where I poke through the cabinet?

Author: steve (CA)

All piping in the ground needs to be minimum 2". Vent from vanity(which vents the toilet and shower) needs to be 2".
Sanitary tees are for dry vents and when waste is traveling from horizontal to vertical. Wyes and combos are used for waste traveling horizontal to horizontal or vertical to horizontal.

Edited 1 times.

Awesome. Thank you so much clap

Awesome. Thank you so much. If you were closer, I'd give you a high five! I'll absorb this info and see if i have anymore questions later.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

steve, thanks for posting that drawing. it is exactly how i would do the job and (by my code) it is 100% code compliant.
one note....
if there is room, roll the "Y"s up slightly and put a 22 in the branch.

Hey guys. So far I have cut out the concrete in my basement and dug out for my pit and pipes. I figured I shouldn't lay the pipe on the 3/4 that's there. Should I use pea gravel as a base or should I use sand? I was going to use pea gravel to go on top of the pipes between the concrete.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.