Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 oatey all purpose solvent on cpvc
Author: txmike06 (TX)

I had been waiting on a plumber for 2 months to replace the old galvanized pipe so the siding guys could get started on my home remodel. I finally got tired of waiting and took off work last week and put the CPVC in the exterior walls with the siding removed. I used the Oatey all purpose cement in the red can since I was going to be messing with some PVC on the outside of the house as well. In my last house I replaced some plumbing and used this glue and didn't have any problems for the year or so I lived in it.

Now that Im done and the siding guys have started closing up the walls I was reading around on the forum and saw alot of guys saying the all purpose is a big no no..... it's to late for me to remove the walls and have it all took out and I'd have to go in from the inside walls now so how often does the all purpose fail? It's been over a week and I check every connection I can get to daily and everything seems to be holding fine.

I did a little research and called oatey and they said it was perfectly fine for hot and cold cpvc pipe used in a residential application. I also looked at the ingredients for the orange cpvc glue and all purpose and they have the exact same ingredients except the all purpose also has pvc resin in it. The other difference was that the actual cpvc solvent says it meets astm f493 and the all purpose says it meets performance requirements of astm f493.

Thanks.

Re: oatey all purpose solvent on cpvc
Author: packy (MA)

i would defer to what oatey says. they know...

Author: jeff h (NJ)

as long as the can says cpvc glue you should be fine

Author: txmike06 (TX)

I called oatey again just to ask a couple more questions and they transferred me to a technical support guy and he said that he would not hesitate at all to use the all purpose on cpvc. He said the main thing is the color. Inspectors want a color and the all purpose isn't code approved because an inspector can't be sure what solvent was used by looking at the color. He also said since itd been over a week since i glued it he would think if the glue hadnt welded the pipe together it would have some kind of leak by now. I guess I'm going to leave it and hope for the best....

Author: mr leak (CA)

You did the best you can and Oatey wells you so I would not worry. In the future I never use all purpose for anything because there are specific glues for each type of pipe

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.