Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaky Toilet On Grade
Author: johnski49 (CT)

A leaky toilet led me to take my toilet off the floor and found a broken, leaded, cast iron flange on a 4" pipe not secured to the concrete floor, just leaded to the pipe. I have since taken the flange off and cleaned the pipe as well as I can. A friend recommended a replacement cast iron flange with a rubber gasket that can be torqued down so that I don't have to re-lead. I was given a "Code-Blue" 4" x 4" deep cast iron flange. It will fit, but I could use the 2" version, which would seem more stable in my situation. The pipe comes up through asymmetric cast concrete and will not support a new flange being screwed to the concrete since the cast is too wide. Should I back-fill this with hydraulic cement and proceed with the 2" deep replacement flange and screw the new flange into the new concrete? Or should I just put the new flange on, don't screw it in and replace the toilet? This is the way I originally found it...my house was built in 1960. I have included pictures.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Leaky Toilet On Grade
Author: packy (MA)

since you seem to have a little time to do this, i would fill all around the pipe with hydraulic cement right up to the top of the tile. clean the inside of the cast iron really well and use a flange that inserts inside the pipe. push it in so it sits ontop of the tile. use some tapcon screws to secure it to the floor.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.