Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 adapt bathtub drain for clothes washer
Author: JerryCk (MT)

My neighbor wants to remove a bathtub and move a washer and dryer into the same space. The tub drain is 1-1/2" Sch40 PVC: a P-trap into a 1-1/2" coupling on an 1-1/2" stub into a 2x1-1/2" bushing in the back of 2" wye, all below the floor. Is there a way to replace the 1-1/2" P-trap with 2" by hooking onto the 1-1/2" stub (just a short constriction)? If so, should the new trap be above the floor to limit the height of the standpipe above it? Montana code calls for 2" drains on clothes washers.

Re: adapt bathtub drain for clothes washer
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Can you cut the bushing flush with the back of the wye and use a ram bit to remove the remainder of the bushing ? That would give you 2" all the way. If you put the trap above the floor it will have to have another vent.

Thanks for the response cool

Thanks for the response. I guess we would need to cut the 1-1/2"pipe flush with the bushing and use a 1-1/2" ram bit to clear out the rest of the pipe before we could use a 2" ram bit to clear out the bushing?

Edited 1 times.

Since I had to open up a 2" hub by drilling out a 2x1-1/2" flush bushing with a 1-1/2" pipe stub inside, I turned a 1-1/2+" wood pilot on my lathe, bored 1/4", and put it on a 1/4" rod in a 2-3/8" hole saw mandrel. With this rig I was able to cut out the bushing using the stub as a guide for the wood pilot. I was able to chuck the hole saw in a 3/8" 18v drill and use the clutch to control jams. I was able to rock and finesse the hole saw until the bushing base broke loose from the hub. With plenty of solvent and cement, the 2" pipe will work fine in the hub.

Thanks for setting me on the right path!

Author: steve (CA)

Jerry, I've often installed a smaller holesaw inside a larger one to act as a pilot. Good job with your lathe solution.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.