Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing a PRV with no wiggle room in pipes
Author: takeadoe (OH)

Hi folks. I am trying to install a pressure reducing valve on 3/4 copper pipe. Problem is, there is no wiggle room, not even the 1" to get a shark bite connector attached. After I cut the pipe I cant move it either way. I can't move the either way. I'm trying to install just above where the water line enters the house and I have the ceiling on the other side.

I plan to use shark bites. Last question, is it a bad idea to thread the shark bite after attaching it to the other end? Someone said you spinning the shark bite teeth on the pipe could cut the pipe and lead to a leak? Any truth to that?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Mike

Re: Installing a PRV with no wiggle room in pipes
Author: srloren (CA)

Can you post a photo?

Author: hj (AZ)

I use PRVs which have two unions and I do not use Sharkbites.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You can spin the sharkbite as much as you want. The O-ring is what makes watertight seal and it won't hurt the pipe by spinning. I would try to use the sweat unions that come with the reducing valve. It will have to be replaced at some point in the future.

Thanks for being polite and courteous big grin

Hey all! Just a brief note to say thanks and to let you know that my real job has kept me from returning to my project at one of my rentals. I hope to have pics and more details by Friday.

Mike

p.s., thanks for being polite and courteous, unlike members on some forums.

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

If you don't want to do any soldering, buy a PRV with 2 unions. Install 2 sharkbite male adapters and screw the union flanges from the PRV to them. Slip the PRV in between the flanges and tighten the union nuts.

Author: srloren (CA)

Check if you lose your electric ground if it is not attached in the proper place. O-rings and shark bites make me umcomfortable, but it is an option. Also determine if you can install the ball valve closer to the ground. Photo would help here.

Edited 1 times.

As noted earlier, I will get pictures loaded this weekend. But, in the meantime, I've got a couple questions. I think I'm correct in stating that the purpose of the unions is that they allow you to easily swap out whatever is between them. In this case that would be the PRV. But, unless I'm missing something, wouldn't shark bites by themselves afford you the same opportunity? If yes, then wouldn't using shark bites with unions be redundant? I'm sure I'm missing something!

Thanks!

Mike

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

With unions you do not have to have any wiggle room, just loosen the large nuts and the PRV will slide out.
With Sharkbites you're going to need some wiggle room. If you use both you won't have to sweat any fittings or have wiggle room.

Thanks again to all thumbs

Okay guys, I know this is going to seem really basic, and you're probably thinking this guy has no business, but I'm just more nervous than ignorant. This is a rental of mine and I'm just more nervous than I would be if I was working on my own home! Anyway, I've attached a picture to show you what I'm working with and I wanted to ask a few questions. The first step is to attach #2 to #3. I then push that onto #1. Repeat for the other side. You'll notice that I don't have a #3 for the other side. The PRV only came with one #3 (sorry, but what would that collectively be called? I realize that its a nut - not sure what to call the other piece!). I have a great plumbing supply shop here in town. I assume that I can buy another #3. If not, is it necessary to have one on each side? I'm sure I can return the PRV and get another that comes with two #3s, assuming that they make such a PRV. One final question. To determine the total length of pipe that I need to remove, I assume that I screw everything together (in the photo, this would be 2-5 (if I get another #3, I'll add that to the mix), measure it and subtract 2" to allow for the pipe to recess into the sharkbite on each end an 1".

Thanks again to all. I do appreciate your help and respect!

Mike

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

I know you stated the pipes can't be moved away (end to end) from each other, but can they be pulled away from the wall or ceiling a little bit? If yes, Teflon tape(or paste dope) the threads on #5 and screw into #4. Tape or dope the threads on #2 and screw it into #3. Screw #3 to #4 and get a measurement of what distance you will need between the 2 copper pipe ends. Cut the section out of the copper pipe and debur the ends. Unscrew #3 from #4. Pull #6 away from wall/ceiling and push #5/#4 on to #6. Pull #1 away from wall/ceiling, slide on nut for #3, push #2/#3 on to #1 and then screw the nut for #3 onto #4, making sure the o-ring is it place.

I just wanted to give a big thanks... clap

Okay Guys, I wanted to follow-up and let you know that when I finally got up enough nerve to make the first cut, it took a grand total of about 13 minutes to get this installed. I took my time making sure that I have everything measured correctly and it paid off. No leaks and it worked just as it was supposed to. I just wanted to give a big thanks for all the help AND moral support on this small but milestone project for me.

Mike

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.