Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help Please - Drain stub broke flush to wall fitting
Author: jepalan (SD)

The contractor that replaced our kitchen cabinets broke the drain stub off flush to the wall fitting.
It looks like the stub was glued into a 90 that curves over to the tee on the stack.
The stub is broken off flush with the 90 fitting.
See linked picture.

Can someone suggest what options I have to remedy this situation?
(Yes, I have already contacted the contractor, just looking for how something like this is usually fixed, thanks)

Re: Help Please - Drain stub broke flush to wall fitting
Author: steve_g (CA)

This rambit might help:

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

A rambit would work well, but might be a bit expensive for one time use. You could heat the pipe and peel it out of the fitting.

Author: srloren (CA)

If you can saw flush with the wall, i.e. perpendicular to the pipe coming out of the wall, then you can see the seam where the fitting is glued to the pipe. You then need to only cut perpendicular to the wall, and only cut through the fitting and do not cut into the pipe. You can then take a sharp screw drive and split the fitting from the pipe. You will end up with an 1 1/2" pipe that does not come into the room but is just behind the face of your drywall or plaster. You can then glue a coupling or other fitting to make your new connection to a trap and the fixture.
[@#$%&[s286.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah... rambit will do it. 1 minute and 30 second job..
cut the stub flush first.

Thanks everybody thumbs

Thanks everybody. It looks like rambit is worth a try. My contractor is sending his plumber over to fix it this week - no charge to me. I just wanted to understand the alternatives to cutting a big hole in the cabinet and wall so I could have an intelligent conversation if he decides to take a more aggressive approach.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

similar but opposite to above diagram

cut the stub flush

notch the piece INTERNALLY

work it out with specialty 'cape chisel'

or

let the plumber remove in 60 seconds with 'ram bit'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: hj (AZ)

HE is not the one who has to buy it. The contractor has to remove the stub of pipe.

I sure hope he does NOT follow your suggestion or he will wind up with a "useless" fitting in the wall with the hub cut off it.

Just to be clear. The detailed picture posted by SRLoren is not correct for my situation.
My 90 is buried in the wall and the pipe stub is outside the wall (I think my pic is clear on this, no?).
So I will NOT be following SRLoren's advice as it would ruin the fitting I need to keep intact.

My main concern was to understand options for discussion with the plumber the contractor is sending. I absolutely do not want him to break the 90 off at the stack inside the wall while trying to remove the old pipe piece from the fitting. This would be a royal PITA to fix in my situation.

Thanks again - I think I have all the ideas I need (including some heat-and-peel options from internet that seem a bit risky). Hopefully he has one of the nicer pipe-hog tools.

I will post resolution with pic when he is done.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto ditto ditto

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Actually you are correct. I saw it as the broken piece was a fitting when it now appears to be the pipe glued into a fitting. If that is indeed the case, I stand corrected. Thanks for helping me to see what is actually there. I hope the correction was not too late.

Edited 3 times.

One thing you have to understand is that the plumber will have absolutely no interest in ANYTHING you have to say, I would not. He knows the problem and HE WILL DECIDE how to fix it, without any input from you.

Author: hj (AZ)
One thing you have to understand is that the plumber will have absolutely no interest in ANYTHING you have to say, I would not. He knows the problem and HE WILL DECIDE how to fix it, without any input from you.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure how to take your reply. Is it advice? A warning? Not sure.

I do not intend to tell a pro how to do his job. As his customer, I do intend to have polite Q&A about what he is going to do before he starts the work. If he is offended by this, I am happy to show him the door.

After 25yrs in this house I have had plenty of good and not-so-good experiences with professional contractors, but I've never had one offended by my asking about his process and methods before the work starts.

Edited 1 times.

You can ask, but do NOT try to tell him HOW to do it based on what you may have read here. His solution may be entirely different than you anticipate OR he may have to try more than one solution before he gets one that works. My customers tell me their problem and then go watch television while I solve it.

Author: packy (MA)

jepalan, i agree with you 100%. it doesn't bother me if a customer hands around, ask questions or offers to help to keep costs down.
in fact my favorite line is... when a customer asks how much i will pay them per hour for helping, i tell them "50 dollars an hour". then i tell them "i will double that amount and add it to the bill"...
after all, it is your house and it is your money.
i run my business in a small seacoast town on cape ann. there is a big difference between here and NYC, phoenix or LA..

P/S, we don't even have a traffic light in town..

No traffic light... wow that would get old fast. Just kidding, I envy you too much.

Author: sum (FL)

Unless you live in South Florida, in that case if you don't ask how the plumber will do something you have a 90% chance to have to pay him AND do it yourself later.

Thanks again for the help. smiling smiley

OK, contractor hasn't come back yet so I tried it myself tonight. It took 5 minutes and cost me nothing. I used a small heat gun and needle nose pliers. Heated from inside until old pipe piece began to soften then shoved needle nose between pipe and fitting and rolled/peeled it out. Thanks again for the help. Pics tell the story...

Edited 1 times.

Author: RRWA (WA)

Nice job. Thanks for posting a followup.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.