Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Spa flex hose?
Author: sum (FL)

I was trying to figure out how to make the connection between two 1-1/2" PVC irrigation lines.

There was a joint there but the coupling cracked probably because the two pipes were not really aligned straight. There is a slight angle so a 11.25 degree PVC elbow might do the trick although this is not an item you will find at a home center, and not even at local plumbing supply stores (they have 11.25 degree drain fittings but not pressure fittings). Also the line is about 20" deep and I don't want to dig out more of the pipe to get the flex I need to make a nice solid joint. So I was at the Home Depot trying to get four 90 degree elbows to do the "offset" thing.

A Home Depot plumbing aisle expert asked me if I needed help, and I asked him if he has 11.25 pressure fitting elbows, he said no, and when I explained to him what I was trying to do, he recommend that I simply buy a foot of the spa flex hose to make my connection. He says it's flexible, it's easy to install, it can bend to the angles I want, and it glues just like PVC pipes. I asked him if the joints are strong enough for pressured water for irrigation, he said these spa hoses are rated for high pressure hot water jets in spas. It's "indestructable".

So, thoughts? Is this an option?

Re: Spa flex hose?
Author: vic (CA)

IF the PVC spa flex is sch 40 and made in the U.S. THEN most likely it can easily take 50 psi. Spa flex is not recommended by mfrs for continuous constant pressure and if you have impulse heads which cause shock waves I might not want to use it (although I have done so).

I've used quality spa flex a long time ago (we were one of the first to offer it for irrigation) and have used purple primer smile plus Christy Red Hot solvent and have never experienced a leak to date (allowing it to dry 24 hours before use even though the instructions state that one can use it a lot sooner than that).

Author: sum (FL)

Thanks Vic I will check out the spa hose to see if its sch 40 I have a feeling it might not be.

Author: vic (CA)

Sum,

Yesterday I used spa flex to join some 1" PVC together for a sprinkler line in my own back yard and I thought of your son as I didn't use any primer. smile

(for those who don't know, Sum's son Jan did a fantastic study regarding pvc primer):

[www.plumbingsupply.com]

I wiped the pipes with a clean rag, used fresh Christy Red Hot solvent cement and to test the connections confidently turned the water on about 4 hours later (88 degrees weather with low humidity).

I love spa flex for sprinkler systems and except for the consumers not being aware of spa flex I don't know why anyone would use products such as "Funny Pipe" for creating flexible connections when to me spa flex is such a superior product in so many ways.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.