Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Boiler making loud whirring noise
Author: endeavour (NY)

Hello Gurus,

My system is single zone gas fired water boiler. Boiler runs for 30 min or so and then starts making this loud whirring noise. Today the temperature was 160 and pressure 18 when it started. Sometimes it runs for over an hour with temp at 200 (boiler shut off point) without any noise. I have tried to diagnose the issue but haven't been able to figure out the problem. I have also made a video, link is below.

I checked pump, expansion tank, pressure (while it was making the noise) but everything seem to be fine. I first thought its the pump but I can feel the pump is running and water circulating through the pipe. Also the radiators on the second floor are getting heat just fine. So could it be my pump is dying (but still working) and making a loud noise? The noise is so loud that i cant tell if its the pump or coming from inside of the boiler.

Please also note the burner was running while it was whirring.

Any ideas? you can click on the below link or go to youtube and search "loud whirring noise coming from boiler" the name of video is "boiler video".

thanks in advance

[youtu.be]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Boiler making loud whirring noise
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Try this....Next time it happens, tap the handle of a screwdriver on the gas valve, and listen for a change. Then try it on the boiler controls, and listen. Old School "Diagnostics"

Good idea Paul. The noise is so loud that I am scared to put my face so close to the boiler. I will pick up a mechanics stethoscope this weekend and try to listen where the noise is coming from.

BTW I took another better quality video, this time without the noise so you can compare the two videos.

[www.youtube.com]

Author: ravi102769 (VA)

Make Sure that you have 24 volts going to the gas valve from the transformer. Rapping it as Paul suggested is the step to take after ensuring that you have 24 volts. If you put your hand on the gas valve can you feel it chattering?

ok so I picked up mechanics stethoscope and was able to narrow down the source of noise, its the gas valve (Honeywell 2132).

Now to check if the gas valve is getting 24V from the transformer, I tried sticking my multimeter poles in the electric inlet (that goes into the gas valve) but didn't get a reading. I think that's bc it wasn't making good contact bc of how its located. To address this I will have to disconnect the wires going into the gas valve, stick the MM poles and turn on the thermostat so there is current flowing (the boiler shouldn't turn on bc it won't energize). could someone confirm if this is correct? Also would the pilot stay on when I disconnect the wires going into the gas valve (I have standing pilot)?

Sorry this may be a basic question but I want to be safe than sorry.

Re: Noise is back!

So exactly after a year the same noise is back. Just to refresh your memory, the problem was/is Boiler runs for 20 min or so and then starts making this loud whirring noise. Sometimes, it will go for an hour and wont make any noise.

Last year around this time, based on the discussion here and on another forum, I thought I had narrowed down the issue to Bad transformer relay. I replaced the honeywell control center and the noise had stopped. The noise never came back the whole season. I turned on the boiler 2 weeks ago for the first time and right away after about 20 min the noise started.

My first thought was (and as NJT mentioned) spider/insect eggs in the orifice because the system has been sitting there unused for 8 month and i have small spiders in my basement not to mention the same thing happened last year around this time. So I tried cleaning the burner pipes and the orifices with vacuum and pressure cans used to clean keyboards. But that didn't work, I am not sure, however, if this would have sufficiently cleaned the orifice as its difficult to reach into.

Also, I am not sure why after replacing the transformer relay/control center the noise stopped but came back the next season. Could something be wrong with my electric line which is causing the transformer to go bad, surge possibly?

I have ordered a manometer to measure manifold pressure so i could rule out gas build up.

Below is the link to the video of the noise from last year for your reference. I also made another video to show quiet operation of the boiler where you could see the combustion and the flame color.

Any idea whats going on?

Boiler noise:
[youtu.be]

Quiet operation with combustion visible:
[youtu.be]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.