Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 black iron corrosion?
Author: gmum (IL)

Theres a 1" black iron gas pipe that is in contact with the steel support beam in my basement.

Should that concern me in regards to corrosion? Are those dissimilar metals?

Re: black iron corrosion?
Author: packy (MA)

black iron gas pipe is steel. it should be the same as the steel beam.
[extremehowto.com]

Author: hj (AZ)

And even if they were not, there would have to moisture where the meet to cause ANY corrosion.

thanks.

unrelated to my original question. I was wondering...

What is service life to black iron gas pipes?

The lines in my house are 60 years old. I upgraded the galvanized water lines some time ago. Do gas lines get replaced as well?

Author: dlh (TX)

they will go bad eventually but how long that takes depends on many different things. usually good until they aren't....lol....seriously, i haven't ran into a gas line inside the house that needed replaced without there being a problem causing the need for replacement like not protecting it going through brick/concrete wall

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

How do you know they gone bad?

I assume surface rust is normal to an extent.

Author: dlh (TX)

that is the reason they put smelly stuff in natural gas

- - - - - - -

PLUMBERS "Protecting The Health Of The Nation"

so your saying old joints just start leaking....

Author: packy (MA)

i don't know that you can put a life expectancy on black gas piping. it isn't indefinite but it sure is many decades.

Author: hj (AZ)

NO. you replaced the water lines because they had WATER running through them causing corrosion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.