Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Warped closet flange
Author: reluctantdiyer (MD)

I feel stuck. Pulled toilet due to leak under its floor. Flange looks like abs plastic but warped like parts pushed up from tile grout under or something. It is raised a bit from floor. What kind of wax ring should I put? Can i do a thick one even though flange higher than floor? Do I level toilet with shims to be gravity level or should it be level with flange?
It doesn't seem like I can do much with the flange.

Re: Warped closet flange
Author: packy (MA)

clean everything up really well. test fit the toilet with no wax. shim it until it sits nice and solid. make sure the flange is not interfering. there really is quite a bit of space under the toilet for the flange and wax
use a plain old wax ring.
so remove the toilet being careful to leave the shims. stick them down if the don't co-operate. i put the wax on the bowl, others put the wax on the flange. set the toilet, tighten the bolts and you are good to go..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It's likely warped from the upward pressure of the toilet bolts. You might be able to use some screws to help pull the flange back down to the floor.

Author: srloren (CA)

4 to 6 Screws are a good suggestion as long as they are heavy, Brass screws. Use brass washers under the screw head. Shimming prior to setting is also a good idea and make some marks on the floor to help you place the bowl over the screws so you don't mess up the wax. You will be OK.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.