Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 roof vent sound?
Author: ddbbp (KS)

Is it normal to hear water flowing thru the plumbing system from the vent stack on your roof?

For example, from the roof vent, When a toilet is flushed I can clearly hear the flush and the pipe quickly filling and draining.

I was trying to clear debris from my roof vent and I was thinking if it was totally restricted, you would not hear water flowing thru the system. Is that a fair assessment?

Re: roof vent sound?
Author: bernabeu (SC)

yes and yes

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: srloren (CA)

You are correct, you would be able to hear the water flowing when any fixture is drained, but particularly a toilet because of the volumn. One must remember that the vent and drainage charts in the code books were developed long before low flush toilets were. These newer toilet tanks drain faster than the older less than 3" flappers allowed, so the toilet vents, many of which are 2" (when there are more than 2 toilets in a home and the toilets are a certain distance from each other) are burdened with taking in more air into the vent. When a liquid moves through a pipe there is friction loss. I believe that air moving through a vent also causes friction loss. It could be that the vent charts need to be revisited by the engineers that write the codes to allow for this and help the lower volumn flush toilets to do their job. American Standard makes a 4" flapper that even drains fast enought to flush a dozen golf balls down the drain. The engineers that write the code should be and probably are looking at this. If someone disagrees with my contribution, please let me know why you disagree.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Srloren-

Obviously I'm no plumber but your post has me thinking about a couple things-

#1 does a toilet even need a vent? I've heard different things on this, including claims that unvented toilet branches flush better...

#2 a low flow toilet drains faster, but isn't this a function of having less water, rather than the speed of flow thru the pipe? For example, a given 3" pipe can drain at a particular rate. Are you saying the water drain rate is variable?

#3 what is the effect of hydraulic effects on this theory? Assuming that liquid flowing through a given pipe cannot be compressed, regardless of the pressure it is under... Air flowing thru the same pipe can be compressed as the pressure on it changes. Therefore can't that pipe allow "more" air thru it than water thru it? Like a jet effect.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.