Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing a Bidet with 5/16ths connectors on a non-standard toilet
Author: dentedwall (IL)

I'm trying to hook up a bidet to a nonstandard toilet. I have a bunch of parts and I don't really understand plumbing that much, so I'm having a bit of difficulty. I have a standard toilet (where it _would_ fit if it weren't for a large vanity) and a nonstandard toilet where I'm trying to put it.

# Connectors

As you can see on the nonstandard connector, it passes through a hole in the tank and is connected directly to the guts.

# My Parts

The colors indicate the sizes of things. Reds connect tor Reds, Blues to Blues. The green is a little odd, the tube fits through the nut in the green brass fitting, but cannot be held affixed there.

# The way you're supposed to do it.

1. Item 5 is a 5/16ths plastic hose. One end goes on the bidet which has a barb and is secured using one of the two white plastic things shown with Item 6.
2. The other end goes into the T juncture of Item 6, secured with the other white thing.
3. To connect it to the plumbing, you unhook the toilet from the standard wall connector...
4. Connect the small female end of Item 4 (which is a standard compression pipe/tube/sleeve with standard sizes on the ends) to the wall connector...
5. Connect the large female end of Item 4 to the male end of Item 6
6. Then connect the female end of Item 6 to the toilet.

I can't do that because the pipe leading from my toilet is (for lack of knowing the right size or term) the 'small part' of the standard compression pipe/tube/sleeve. So I need to work with that small size.

# Attempt 1

So I purchased Item 1.

1. I connect the female end of Item 1 to the wall connector...
2. And I connect the tube from the toilet to the male end of item 1.
3. I connect the plastic tube with a white connector to the T juncture of Item 1. This fits.

And while the toilet tank is filling - it works! But as soon as the tank is done filling, the water pressure meets on that junction, and I get a blow out - the tube just shoots out of the connection. I cannot find a brass insert that fits in the opening of the plastic tube, but has a flange larger than the hole in the white connector. (Maybe one exists, but I don't know what it's called or how to find it.)

I can't connect the plastic tube with the brass connector shown with Item 1 - it doesn't fit through the opening. I don't know what the term is for the small part that is second from the bottom in Item 3 - but it seems like the nut in Item 1 has one of those built-in. Even if it didn't, the plastic tube would not fit though the hole in the nut.

# Attempt 2

I bought more parts hoping they would fit together. They don't.

Item 2: "Coupling, Body Material Brass, Pipe Size 3/8 In., Connection Type FNPT, Max. Pressure 1200 psi, Outside Dia. 13/16 In., Hex Size 7/8 In., Temp. Range -65 Degrees to 250 Degrees F, Length 1-7/64 In., Standards NSF 61 ANNEX G"

Item 3: 3/8" OD x 5/16" OD Compression Reducing Union,BRASS COMPRESSION FITTING

The tube does fit through the nut that is at the top of Item 3 though. It's tight, but even with the brass insert, the tube would get pushed out under pressure I'm sure.

# Solution?

I don't have one. There just isn't a lot of plumbing fittings with 5/16ths inch stuff. Add in different threading types and the necessity to order it online (I've looked at all the parts the local Menards, Home Depot, and Lowes have) - I'm not getting it. What are the names of the parts do I need and while I understand the links may go dead over time it would be really helpful to include direct links to product pages where I can order to make sure I get the right thing.

Re: Installing a Bidet with 5/16ths connectors on a non-standard toilet
Author: steve (CA)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.