Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet flange and new subfloor
Author: Walsh2 (TX)

We had a toilet leak in 2nd floor bathroom due to a flange set to low at original construction. Damage has been removed and remediated. But we are on our 3rd contractor for doing subfloor and tiling.

Maybe I'm wrong but this doesn't look right. There is solid subfloor beneath 2 bolts on left, the top bolt and the cutout (?) for toilet bolt/anchor on left. But on the right side no subfloor beneath. This seems wrong - doesn't there have to be subfloor all the way up pretty close to the PVC waste pipe and definitely under each bolt hole?

Thanks for any help

Edited 2 times.

Re: Toilet flange and new subfloor
Author: yonson (SC)

I have a similar problem. I have put down a new subfloor and new DWV lines. I am about 1 inch too low to have the flange on the finished floor.

Is their a flange that the height can be cut to fit or the like?

Sorry to piggyback your post - but kinda the same issue...

Author: packy (MA)

1) orient the flange in the correct location and secure it to the sub floor with rust resistant screws..
2) use a toilet flange extension kit. sponsor has them..

you want the top surface of the extension ring/s to be about 1/4 inch above the tile.
the rings can be stacked to accomplish this.

Author: Walsh2 (TX)

Any thoughts on my issue. I know plumber will get it to right height with a new flange but wonder if just securing flange on left side with screws is enough. Subfloor is under holes on right side. Thinking some tiles may have to be removed and subfloor partially redone.

Thoughts on how many screws must go through to subfloor?

Author: packy (MA)

you don't need a new flange, you need the extension kit.
the screws on the left will be easy but on the right you will need to get the top screw in at an angle. that is the more important of those holes on the side. if that top screw catches really well then the 3 will hold it. put a little silicone under the edge of the bowl. that will keep water from going under it and will keep it from moving since the screws in the flange are OK but not great.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.