Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Waste line between house and street is clogged.
Author: bam99 (SC)

The waste line between house and street is clogged, so I opened the cleanout that's right in front of my house and let the backed-up (and stinky) water drain from my bathtub.
Now it's kind of late at night and I don't want to deal with it until tomorrow, so let me ask a few questions before the next step.
1. The house is 14 years old. Is that enough time for roots to invade PVC waste line?
2. Do homeowners typically move out until the waste line is flowing again?
3. When I opened the cleanout, the water that came out on the lawn was clear but stinky. Is that a hazard?
4. What's my chance of fixing this in a few hours by renting an auger at Home Depot? Money is an issue.
5. Do most plumbers do this kind of work, or would I have to call that company that advertises on TV with the catchy jingle?
Any other advice for me. I appreciate it.

Re: Waste line between house and street is clogged.
Author: m & m (MD)

1. When properly installed, PVC is virtually impervious to root intrusion.
2. No, they limit the water that they use. In the meantime, leave the cap off the cleanout so that your overflow spills out there.
3. It is no more hazard than the farmer spreading manure on his fields. Unless you have children/pets that want to play in the water.
4. We don't know what your skills are. Drain cleaning requires plumbing background knowledge.
5. Many, but not all, plumbers handle drain cleaning.

Author: packy (MA)

you can try cleaning it yourself or you can just pay someone with drain cleaning equipment.
the job should not be difficult nor should the charge be excessive as the cleanout is readily available and already open.

Author: hj (AZ)

1. Not if it were installed properly. The problem is probably where the PVC connects to the city's lateral to your property line
2. NEVER
3. Just don't drink it.
4. Slim and hazardous
5. Many do. avoid the "big franchised" companies which advertise on TV.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.