Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Softener Plumbing
Author: nmzuni (FL)

I would like to add a water softener to my house. The main line in runs across the front of the house before entering. I am wondering if I can tap into the line and run it to the water softener and then to the cold water line to the hot water heater. I figure it would fill the hot water heater and also run back through the cold water line to the rest of the house. I would plan on capping the line where it currently enters the house. My concern is if this would cause an issue by having a stagnate leg of water line from where it currently enters the house. Should I put a hose bib on it? I know I don't want to use the softened water for the lawn or plants but could use it for washing the car, etc. Am I over thinking it and would just capping the line be okay?

Re: Water Softener Plumbing
Author: hj (AZ)

It is often done that way.

Thanks.

Author: m & m (MD)

'Dead ends' should be kept as short as possible to prevent bacterial growth.

Well the plumbing lines are in the slab so it is hard to tell but there could easily be 20' of "dead leg". Makes me think a hose bib would be a good idea.

Christopher

Author: m & m (MD)

20' is too long. A hose bibb is helpful only if you will flush the line on a very scheduled interval.

Seems the only other alternatives would be to either bring the line in to the softener and then back out to the original line or replumb the house. The first option wouldn't be so bad except the line enters at the front of the house so I end up with three pipes coming out of the ground and into the house within 15' of each other. I'm thinking hose bib and calendar alarm on my phone might be the way to go.

Christopher

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.