Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 sealing sump pits
Author: ddbbp (KS)

I would like to seal the cover on my sump pit. Looking online for ideas and I see many "radon mitigation" setups with vents. All of which look like overkill.

I just like to keep odor at bay. Radon isn't my concern (I hope!).

Is a vent to the outside necessary?

Re: sealing sump pits
Author: packy (MA)

best way to seal the cover down but still be able to open it..
remove the cover
clean surfaces to be sealed
lay down a good bead of 100% silicone seal
cover the silicone with saran wrap (or any good plastic wrap
put cover back and let silicone cure well
remove cover and plastic wrap
install cover and bolts/screws
now, you will have a nice tight fit but still be able to lift cover if needed.
chances are you will need some sort of vent for the basin. a dryer vent installed backwards would work. it would sit in the shut position but if the sump needed to suck air it could easily pull the flap on the backwards dryer vent.
ps/ I know my friend from SC is saying to himself "rube Goldberg"...

Thx packy cool
Author: ddbbp (KS)

thx packy, sounds like your saying I need a vent...

so I gotta ask then... why is a vent necessary for a basic sump pit?

or is sealing and vents out of the ordinary?

Edited 2 times.

Author: Palm329 (VA)

Packys saying as the pump ejects the water, a vacuum will be created unless air is allowed in to fill the void.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, but you don't need to vent to the outside.
if it was a sewer ejector type system then it would need air going both directions.
when you flushed a toilet the water entering the tank would displace the air. that would have to have somewhere to go. so, a vent is needed.
but on your system since the water is just trickling into the tank and i'm sure the displaced air will go somewhere under the ground, just need to stop the pump from forming a vacuum.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.