Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water Softener Sizing
Author: jeffasweet (CA)

Hi All,

I've had such great responses, I figured I'd give this one a shot.

Our house has one bathroom currently, possibly adding another bath in the future. No high output fixtures.

2 Occupants, calculate 75 per person use per day.

Our water is definitely hard, with an average of 307ppm divided by 17.1 gives me a need of 18 Grains Per Gallon hardness (Taken from San Jose's annual water report). When I calculate that it comes out to 2700 GPG that must be removed per day which according to this chart [www.qualitywatertreatment.com] puts me at only needing a 24,000 Grain Capacity softener. I haven't tested the water at the house yet, since we're in middle of repipe and I don't live there yet. My current house which is a mile away has hard water for sure.

I'm tempted to size up to the 32,000 Grain capacity softener, but then I've heard about potential channeling if your softener is too large. Advice?

I'm also torn on which of the Fleck models to get or the SoftPro. The SoftPro comes with the Vortech tank which I've read mixed reviews on. I always seem to get suckered for extra bells and whistles.

Part of me feels like I should just get the most basic model, like the Fleck 2510 SXT.

Any advice the experts want to share would be appreciated.

Also, since I'm in California, plumbingsupply.com won't ship there softeners to me, or I'd order one there.

Thanks Jeff

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water Softener Sizing
Author: packy (MA)

always safest to contact the manufacturer and give them the specs. they have all the info right in their computer.

I'll try and speak with them tomorrow.

The two things I'm really uncertain on, capacity, 24,000 or size up to 32,000. The second is the models/brands and if the upgraded version is worth it or is it going to cause me problems later.

After soaking with the supplier, I ordered the Fleck 5600 SXT model. Upgraded to the USA resin, everything else standard.

Thanks for the advice to call.

Jeff

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.