Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Clogged stand up shower drain
Author: Deva (FL)

My walk in shower drain has been draining very slowly so I removed the drain grate today and snaked it with a long metal snake and got a whole bunch of yuck. Gag and heave.

I was quite proud of my self and when I turned on the shower head, it's actually draining much slower now! I got a flash light because I could only advance the snake so far and then it wouldn't go any further. When I peek down the drain, it looks like there is maybe a pipe that meets the drain pipe perpendicularly, and snake comes to a dead end there. I don't see any other gunk/hair/nastyness down there. Toilet flushes fine and the sink drains briskly.

It's a holiday weekend and I hate to even think what a plumber might cost. Anyone have any advice?

Re: Clogged stand up shower drain
Author: m & m (MD)

Let the water run in the shower until you get a generous pool of water built up over the floor. Using a plunger, plunge the drain forcefully and on the backstroke, pull back as briskly as you can. It may be all that's needed.

Thanks very much for your suggestion big grin

Thanks very much for your suggestion. Since snaking it, I put some baking soda and vinegar down the drain and now am trying to flush it through with boiling water, but still super sluggish. I will try your plunging suggestion and keep my fingers crossed. Cheers!

Edited 1 times.

Omg!! Thank you so much for the plunging advice! I stepped into the shower with a whole lotta attitude, plunged the heck out of it about 10 times and it's draining like champ! ShaZAM!! Thanks for saving me a lot of money not to mention aggravation smiling smiley

Author: m & m (MD)

Cheers.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

the technique with plunging is to get the column of water insides the piping 'a rocking' and when you think you have the maximum 'rocking' SHOVE or PULL the column like a 'hammer' which, due to kinetic energy, often breaks up the clog or pushes it along to a larger drain

good job well done

smiling smiley

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.