Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water pipe banging noise while water is running
Author: Starcon77 (VA)

I have a home that was built 17 years ago. Recently I have noticed a banging noise in the copper pipes. The banging noise happens once more than one faucet or toilet is operated at the same time. This happens in all bathrooms on ever floor of the home. For instance I turn on the bathtub faucet full on and then a faucet or two full on and then the water begins to pulse (only after the second or third faucet) then the pipe banging begins and stays on until I shut off some of the flow of water. This happens in any combination of Shower, tub, sink or toilet. Any single one running is ok but 2 or more then the problem begins.

I got a pressure gauge and the front of the house bib hose pressure reads 90 psig but it is not steady. It does wiggle every so slightly. I tried to reduce the pressure at the pressure regulation valve by turning it CCW. I did this time and time again in between releasing some water in a sink until I got to 10 turns and no pressure changed. I do note that the valve has a metal tag that has a rating of 25 to 75 psig.

Thanks for any advice you might have in advance.

Re: Water pipe banging noise while water is running
Author: holland123 (MI)

when it occurs try to go around the house to toilet tanks and lift the lids to check for oscillating fillvalves or check gate valves on the main distribution piping for chattering within the gate- possible not fully open or possible broken gate inside.

OMG, You are amazing.....Thanks a million. clap

OMG, You are amazing. I have 5 toilets. One of them had the original 17 year old water valve. Kids are gone so don't use that bathroom but the tank float was allowing water to fill up the tank and slightly drip water through the white overflow pipe that leads to the toilet bowl below instead of overflowing onto the floor. This water valve was not sealing and leaking albeit very very slowly. I turned off the inlet water valve at the floor and tested the all the bathrooms. The water pipe banging, ramming and hammer seems to have disappeared. Time to replace that toilet valve.

Thanks a million.

Edited 1 times.

Re: OMG, You are amazing.....Thanks a million. clap
Author: Debo22 (CA)

You still need to replace the pressure regulator, pressure over 75psi shows that it is no longer operating properly and will damage plumbing fixtures.

Re: OMG, You are amazing.....Thanks a million. clap

Another question please.

After making the repairs to the in toilet tank valve the pressure gauge showed a steady 87 psig. Still high from the comment made above.

I am hooked to city water and have never had any issues with flow throughout the house even when I had 5 kids living here. The latest issue is general pressure (I do not have a water filer, softener or anything else on my water system.).

For instance ... I have 87 psig at the hose bib which comes off the piping right above the pressure regulator valve. I turn on the sink full and I get 60 psig, add another sink at full flow and I get a 37 psig reading. Now just a tub on full and it drops from 87 psig to 20 psig add a sink and now its 10 psig. As you can imagine this is a problem.

Is it possible the water hammer/ramming I experienced damaged the pressure reducing valve? The main inlet valve to the house is full open. It seems to me the flow problem is either the pressure reducing valve or at the connection at the street. Again, nothing has changed over the last 17 years since the home was built besides the water hammer/ramming I recently experienced. Now the low water flow with multiple use of toilet, sink and tub has developed.

Thanks again for your advice and help in advance.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.