Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can 1/2" thermostatic value deliver water pressure to shower heads and body jets?
Author: measuretwice (MN)

I am thinking about buying this item from signature hardware. This has an integrated 1/2" thermostatic mixing valve and two diverters -- you can see the produce and the valve here:

EDIT: Having hard time getting url in place. On signature hardware's site, the SKU is 925470 for the produce "EXIRA THERMOSTATIC SHOWER SYSTEM - DUAL SHOWER HEADS, HAND SHOWER & 4 BODY JETS" -- there is a picture of integrated valve there and link to technical documents pdf which has a bit more on the valve.

The way I want to configure it and they way the recommend is two have body spray on bottom diverter and then the three way diverter on top select between one of the three shower heads (wall, rainfall, handheld).

I am just concerned a 1/2" valve could deliver enough gpm to support this. I have a new water line to the street (1 inch) and I can route 3/4" inch pex right to the theromstatic valve (and then couple down to 1/2" at the valve) -- do you think this will work?

My understanding, is that normally for showers with multiple features, a 3/4" thermostatic valve is usually used, correct?

They tell me the shower takes three gpm and the body showers can take 2 gpm each -- so you are talking around 10 gpm max when using the body showers (I promise I won't use them often!).

Does this 1/2" valve look up to snuff to drive all this, assuming I can get a massive PSI right to the valve?

Any thoughts welcome,

Thank you,

measuretwice

Edited 1 times.

Re: Can 1/2" thermostatic value deliver water pressure to shower heads and body jets?
Author: holland123 (MI)

i have installed a set similar to this and you should be fine because it is sold as a package set,i have never seen this one but kohler has a similar unit that i have installed before, this units' 3 port valve will probably only allow you to run either the main head, the hand shower or the body sprays alone and not together. i would double check on that though. i do suggest however that if you are running pex that you run 3/4 pex directly to unit.

Re: Can 1/2" thermostatic value deliver water pressure to shower heads and body jets?
Author: measuretwice (MN)

Thanks so much, holland123, I will take your advice and route 3/4 pex right to the unit.

Just to be clear, this unit is designed to run two items at the same time. The bottom diverter is a 2 switch on/off. We are tying those to the body jets. The top one is a four way -- off, wall shower, rainfall, andhand held shower heads. You only get one of these at a time. But you can run two things at once. So it's like body jets and rainfall or body jets and wall shower. And my understanding is those body jets take some bigger gpm numbers.

It's just I've always seen plumbers use 3/4 thermostatic valves for multiple feature showers. So was wondering if their 1/2 intake valves just seemed obviously small or not.

But think I'm going to risk it -- I'll report back on the success or lack there of -- probably be a few months tho!.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.