Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 not sure to stick with my oil or go to propane?
Author: Lynnf (NY)

I have a leak in my old peerless and was told need to replace. It is in a small space in a closed small area in my garage. I have 3 heating zones in my home and they are the zone valves are all located under the house in the crawl space.... Dumb!! I have 2 oil tanks in my garage as well and one person said because they at least 25 years old to change them too because they showed me that you can see a darker area on the tanks a nod this could very well mean that they are rusting from the inside out and could be a problem if they start to leak. Never was told this by my own company who was in that garage many times last winter to replace a circulator and a expansion tank. Someone came and said get propane in the long run it is cheaper. 8900 installed for a visas an is not great for me right now and I was looking at a badarus unit with a becket or riello burner ? I hVe no idea where to turn for good advice. And really am trying to educate myself. How do I know if I also need to replace the two oil tanks that have been garaged their whole life? What do I look for because i don't want a problem but I really can't afford the extra expense. Also they mentioned a cold start unit can be turned on and off in the summer so I do not have to let it run just to make hot water to save money on the oil. Does the badarus come in a cold start model? Thanks for all this help and advice!

Re: not sure to stick with my oil or go to propane?
Author: packy (MA)

how do you heat you domestic hot water?
buderus make an excellent unit.
they have devices taht can measure how thick the metal is on your tanks. at 25 years old, i would not worry about them.
heating oil around here is selling for 167 per gallon while propane is double that.
a buderus wall hung gas boiler will run about 10% more efficient than an oil fired unit.
oil will require a yearly tune up while gas needs to be cleaned about every 3 years.
oil will need a chimney although it can be side wall vented.
gas can have a PVC flue and make up air.
if it were me, i would stick with oil..
look for big rebates. around here there is a 1700 dollar rebate for oil.
lastly.. just about all heating equipment come as 'cold start'...

Re: not sure to stick with my oil or go to propane?
Author: holland123 (MI)

i agree with packy stick with oil, propane will cost you both arms and legs, i have a friend here in southern michigan who heats his 2,000 sq ft ranch style home with propane, costs him average $1,200 per month!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.