Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 shower drain replacement.
Author: rl899 (TX)

My 27 years old shower drain is glued to the outside of the 2" PVC pipe rising up from the slab. I need to replace it with an adjustable drain for a shower pan installtion. I plan to cut/saw the upper part of the old drain off.

The new adjustable drain base is to be glued to the outside of a 2" PVC pipe but in my situation it will not fit. How shall I resolve the problem? Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Re: shower drain replacement.
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Use an inside pipe cutter, cut the old drain off along with an inch or so of pipe, use a coupling and new tile shower drain.

The 2" PVC drain stud rises up 1 1/4 " from the slab. So do I use inside pipe cutter to cut it down to almost floor level? Thanks.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You need to leave 3/4" to glue to, either a coupling or the new drain. I didn't realize the cement was poured directly to the pipe, we always put a trap box around the drain to keep the concrete away.

The old drain was glued onto the outside of the 2" pipe stud, almost down to the slab. To leave 3/4" of pipe it would still have the lower part of the old PVC drain glued to it, making it unfit for the new drain base. This is what's troubling me. Thanks.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

well then you'll have to get out your hammer and chisel to break away some of the cement. doesn't have to be neat or pretty since it is under the shower pan.

There is really no cement to chisel away. The real problem is I cannot unglue the old shower drain from the 2" PVC drain stud. To completely cut it out will cut the drain stud down to the floor level, and then use coupling to connect the new drain base. Is this the right way to do it? Thanks.

Author: packy (MA)

you might be able to make a number of vertical cuts in the coupling and chip it away in many pieces. easy does it..

Author: KCRoto (MO)

If you have a heat gun you may be able to make a cut, then heat and peel the fitting away from the pipe.

Thanks, I may try doing it this way.

Author: flytivoer (PA)

I have a similar situation in which the 2" ABS shower drain pipe is cemented into the slab, and the concrete was poured all the way up to the pipe. We're putting in a fiberglass shower base that will sit directly on the cement slab. The pipe is perfectly lined up with the shower drain hole in the shower base. We haven't purchased the shower drain yet. Roughly, how much cement should we plan to chip away from around the drain pipe?

There is a post "Best way to clear concrete around toilet drain(PVC)", And Author jerco (MD) provided good guidance:

"I have only found one good way of doing this but you'll need one of these ...

A hammer drill or rotary hammer with a 1/4" masonry bit.

First cut the pipe flush with the floor (to give you room to work) and stuff a rag into the pipe. Then drill a series of holes straight down, about 2"- 3" deep, all the way around the pipe about 1/2" apart from each other and 1/2"- 3/4" away from the pipe. Then drill diagonally from hole to hole all the way around. Once you have enough material removed (away from the pipe) then a hammer and chisel (or old screwdriver) will easily separate the cement from the PVC pipe leaving you enough room to prime and glue on the new flange (with stainless steel ring!!!)".

This is the method I am going to use for my situation and may be you can use it too.

Author: flytivoer (PA)

Thank you for that suggestion! It sounds like a winner and will give it a try.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.